PDA

View Full Version : Schiphol

TheKentishFledgling
21st May 2007, 16:22
Just had an email from a chap I know through an email list who is looking to bring his Cri Cri to Europe as he is relocating due work.

He posted here last night asking for info on Schiphol but appears it has been moved to Jet Blast: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276765

Can anyone help him?

TIA.

tKF

Pitts2112
21st May 2007, 16:26
Very strange timing, TKF. Stik just made a call on that very topic this morning on behalf of our little biplane group. Give him a call. Ryanair man put us off the idea pretty completely.

Or is you man looking to put the Cri-Cri in a real airoplane and have it shipped over? :)

Pitts2112

TheKentishFledgling
21st May 2007, 16:38
Strange timing indeed! Will put stik in touch and he can relay info you got from F!

tKF

stiknruda
21st May 2007, 22:07
Sorry chaps - spoke to FR's - F.

He knows nobody from West Africa called Hunt?

I went to school with a Canadian boy whose dad was an F4 pilot, his name was Hunte.

Now all y'all has pricked my imagination, what does it cost to park ten small bipes at Schipol overnight?

Is LLelystadt an easier run ashore?

Pitts2112
21st May 2007, 22:39
Stik,

You smokin' dope or sumpin'?

Gettin' in a bit o'practice for the trip ta Amsterdam?

Pitts2112

TheKentishFledgling
21st May 2007, 22:48
Which trip - the trip with Izaak or with the Pitts boys?

BRL
21st May 2007, 22:49
TKF you have email.............

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd May 2007, 00:02
I'd be surprised if parking 10 bipes at Schiphol would come under the heading 'easy' or 'affordable'

Happy to stand corrected but last time I looked into going to AMS it was doable but not far from the pain threshold.

BackPacker
22nd May 2007, 07:56
I really don't know what the intention is here, but as I live very close to Schiphol, here are some details on GA @ Schiphol.

Schiphol CTR is class C airspace so no problem there. It has a dedicated VFR departure/arrival lane (from/to Victor = close to the town of Vinkeveen) which you need to follow @ max 1000 feet. This leads you to the midfield point of 04/22, which is the Schiphol-East runway. It's the smallest of all the runways (2014m) and cannot be used for big iron, so it is only used for GA, bizjets and the occasional 737, F50 and such. Be aware that you might need to make a "threshold baseleg" or even a "midrunway baseleg" so as not to interfere with traffic destined for other runways.

All traffic into Schiphol requires handling, and overnight parking is available on the GA apron. There is only one handling company at Schiphol who handles GA (bizjets mostly), called the KLM Jetcenter. Just because it is something that I wanted to "have done", I looked at the price for a piston single, just landing at Schiphol, no overnight parking. Total cost (landing, ATC, handling) was in the 200 euro region. Search for KLM Jet Center on Google. It's the first hit and it's got all the prices you need. (Needless to say I haven't landed at Schiphol so far although I did cross the CTR a couple of times already.)

If you just want to go to Holland, but not particularly Schiphol, there are a few airfields that may be better suited:

Hilversum (EHHV) is very close to Schiphol, has three grass runways, the longest 700m. Very GA friendly but you do need to take your landing/take-off distances into account as the field is surrounded by trees. Also very cramped airspace, being wedged between the Schiphol and Soesterberg (military base) CTRs, and underneath the Schiphol TMA (1500 feet and up, class A). To give you an idea: If you are at the Victor VRP, you are actually closer to Hilversum than Schiphol.

The other alternative is Lelystad (EHLE). 1250m tarmac, formally an uncontrolled field but with the ambition to become controlled and become the overflow airfield for Schiphol, after a runway extension. It's a bit more expensive than Hilversum but less complicated airspace.

scooter boy
22nd May 2007, 08:09
I visited Amsterdam via Rotterdam 6 weeks ago.
Schipol, like Heathrow is a busy place and the price goes up when you want to fly an approach at 70kts slowing down the heavies flying in and out.

The train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam took about 1 hour or so and was full of very friendly Dutch people. In fact we met a very nice lady pilot on the train back!

and no we didn't have a little schmoke! we had to fly home again the same day!!

SB

Stop Stop Stop
2nd May 2008, 12:33
It's a shame it is so expensive now- a sign of the times I suppose!

I flew a light aircraft (PA28) into Schiphol three times in the late eighties and in those days it was really cheap! I think from memory, the landing fee was about 25 Guilders (less than a tenner) and the handling charges were something like the same again. Parking was about 10 guilders per 24 hours with the first 24 free. Handling in those days was by KLM Helikopters (now defunct) at Schiphol East. I even got a runway change to 27 on one occasion because it was quite windy on 22! You got your own 'Follow Me' car, free tie-downs and a bus to take you to the executive terminal. Taxis arranged and weather packs provided! I think we even got a cup of coffee!

All in all, the whole bill came to little over 20 quid for an amazing experience for a novice PPL (at the time) with only 50 hours TT on the first occasion!!! Now I do it daily at Schiphol but it was a lot more special then!