PDA

View Full Version : Trips home while at college ?

PaulM
20th May 2007, 12:16
Hi all,

First time poster, but have been reading for a while.

I am due to start the college later in the year and I am looking forward to it.

My situation is that I am married with two young kids who will be staying at home with my Wife in Ayrshire, Scotland while I'm in Bournemouth.

Presumably there are others in this situation and I would like to know how they got on. How often are you able to get home? are you able to plan it a while in advance? I could fly home each weekend with Ryanair, Bournemouth-Prestwick(sat afternoon-sun afternoon) quite inexpensively with a bit of planning.

Is this a realitic idea, given the workload ?

While I'm here I may aswell ask if anyone could give me a reasonable indication of the chances of me ending up back in Prestwick, which would obviously be a dream come true for me. Assuming I follow the Area path and am one of the lucky ones who are successful ?

I guess that say 50 on course, 80/20 area/approach
40 do Area, 80/20 swanwick/prestwick
hence 32 for swanwick, 8 for prestwick.

Just a guess, could anyone give me an educated one please.

We are trying to make plans as to the possibilty/probability of relocation.

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Paul.

BigBoeing
20th May 2007, 15:19
going home at wknds is easily possible. Depending on how you find the workload etc, everyones different yada yada. But, myself and most of my friends worked hard through the week and then did next to nothing at weekends, obviously oral boards and some exams require a bit more work. And from the recent courses I would say you have an excellent possibility of ending up in Prestwick, as people are once again being posted there direct rather than Swanwick rejects. You'd have a great case to make as well with having your family up there. Good luck

Ppdude
20th May 2007, 20:16
I reckon if you go to Manchester, you have a reasonable chance of moving to Prestwick. Just a thought, gut feeling you know

begbie
21st May 2007, 16:00
While I was at the college I often used the Bmouth-Pwick ryanair, and booked well in advance it can be very cheap. As for workload, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to head north every weekend. Myself and a few of my friends didn't do much studying (well none, actually) at the weekends and we managed to validate ok..

PaulM
22nd May 2007, 20:18
Thanks for the replies and to those who PM'd me.