PDA

View Full Version : Radio Telephony practical Exam

Fournier Boy
20th May 2007, 09:23
Hi all

An instructor friend of mine runs an NPPL course from the local gliding club, they do all of their written exams "in house" and currently visit an ex-ATC chap down the road for the practical portion.

However this chap is looking at hanging up his headset for the last time, and the gliding club is now looking at setting up a proper area at the club to provide facilities for this part of the course to be undertaken in the clubhouse.

So a couple of questions:

Is there a rig commercially available to provide an intercom type link between two separate rooms in the clubhouse which standard Headphones can be plugged into for a more realistic exam.

Are there any willing Radio guys out there willing to be examiners for the issue of CAA Radio Telephony Licences at this gliding club. I imagine you would need to do maybe 3 or 4 courses a year, negotiable with the pupils via the gliding club. Renumeration of various sorts would be available, so you wouldn't be out of pocket.

Please PM me for offers of help and i'll put you in touch with the CFI of the club. All other posts to these questions, please post here.

Ideally looking for somebody on the south coast as the club is based in East Sussex.

FB

Dysonsphere
21st May 2007, 10:31
nOT SURE IVE SEEN SEVERAL home built one at several clubs

chevvron
21st May 2007, 10:41
The equipment has to be approved by CAA before it can be used for exams.

360BakTrak
21st May 2007, 13:12
Where is the gliding club? If I'm vaguely local I'd be able to help. PM me if you like.:}

Fournier Boy
21st May 2007, 16:22
Thanks for your help guys, hopefully, the responses I've had, will help my buddy out.

Thanks again

FB

neilmac
21st May 2007, 16:31
If you google Oddsoft, they have RANT XL which can be used not just as a Nav trainer but with sound cards/2 PCs/headsets as a RT trainer. It is approved by the CAA, I was about to become an examiner at an old club of mine, I set up everything but was then posted !! The CAA send you exam routes and of course they have to come down and watch you examining a student before you get your licence. What is also good about RANT XL you can put in routes say, the first dual x-country a student may fly and he/she can practice RT, obviously you can speed up the route to the pertinent points. Steve Oddy a training Capt at Oxford set up the company Oddsoft, if still there Mike Grierson is the CAA chap to speak to at SRG.

Hope that helps

Neil Mac