PDA

View Full Version : PPL IR (information required)

ariel
19th May 2007, 15:02
Could someone give me any information regarding a single engine IR rating on the back of a PPL, (as opposed to CPL). Reading materials required, time, cost, realistic expectations, etc.. Have been asked for this information, but am unsure of requirements myself.

Thanking you all kindly...

BackPacker
19th May 2007, 15:10
At present, the ground study for an IR on top of a PPL is almost as much as obtaining a CPL (or even ATPL) straight away. This is due to the JAA classroom requirements. Expect about a year part-time, or at least several months full-time.

It is recognised that this is overkill if you're not on the commercial track. There is talk of reducing the IR theoretical requirements to a more sensible level and this might happen very soon. Look for a loooong thread on "IMC rating" in the Private Flying forum. That's where the experts seem to abound.

This will not influence the practical side considerably. I think you're required to have something like between 25 and 40 hours in simulated IMC, flying straight and level, turns, climbs, descends and most of all the various procedures and holds before you're allowed to do the IR practical.

BTW I don't hold an IR/IMC rating but I mostly wanted you to point to the other thread. As for me, I'm waiting to see what happens in the next year and a half with this initiative before committing a hell of a lot of money on a (possibly needless) ground study.

ariel
19th May 2007, 15:21
Thanks for your input.

do you mean this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=276324&highlight=instrument+rating) thread?

Tried search on IMC but search facility failed, got the above on Instrument Rating search.

ariel

IO540
19th May 2007, 16:41
The best source of info on the IR is the PPL/IR group (http://www.pplir.org). Every instrument pilot (actual or aspiring, and this includes IMC rated ones) should join.

I have sent you a PM regarding the FAA IR route. The JAA IR route is probably what you were asking about; however I started on that myself in 2001 before discovering the other one.

scooter boy
19th May 2007, 19:50
Ariel, I agree with IO540.

FAA IR in an N-reg is so much less bureaucratic and just as good.

When the JAA instrument rating becomes more easily achievable then I suspect more people will go down this route, but in the meantime the FAA route is the one most of us choose to take for practical airways flight in Europe.

SB

S-Works
19th May 2007, 20:47
as long as you own an N reg as renting one the pickings are pretty slim........
don't be seduced by the "ease" of the FAA IR if you really want a long term future flying IFR in Europe the JAA IR is the way to go and with the chnges in the pipeline it will be easier to obtain.

IO540
19th May 2007, 21:44
I would agree that if one is after the best possible insurance policy against future political maneuvers on the European aviation regulatory scene, and is after private flying privileges only, then doing the JAA CPL IR is the safest route; the JAA PPL/IR being the next safest.

However, many people do the FAA option for a variety of perfectly valid reasons. It isn't "easy" at all but is more achievable for the business/professional type of person who has to slot the stuff into their life, a managable chunk at a time. There are also airframe/equipment certification issues that affect a lot of planes currently in the marketplace.

However, "JAA" will be dead very soon because EASA is taking over flight crew licensing in 2008. EASA has already taken over certification.

So I think it is accurate to say that the future (and thus the best advice on private IFR strategy) is less than clear.

Equally the end (if one is indeed coming) of being able to operate under the FAA system is far from certain and if it does come there are likely to be plenty of carrots on offer - the political fallout would otherwise be massive. In this context, getting an FAA CPL/IR will likely look better than getting an FAA PPL/IR.

as long as you own an N reg as renting one the pickings are pretty slim

definitely, but then IFR flight is largely an owner-pilot game anyway; there are very few private IR holders kicking around the self fly hire scene as most of the available G-reg rental stuff is barely legal to fly IFR in Class G ;)