PDA

View Full Version : Any Train at R.C.A.F Claresholme in 1952?

grimerz
17th May 2007, 19:30
May I ask: Did anyone in this forum carry out flying training at Claresholme during 1952 please?
regards
grimerz :)

flyndad
17th May 2007, 22:43
Didnt train there but I often fly down there now.

India Four Two
27th May 2007, 12:47
I didn't train there either, but when I first flew there in 1972, it probably didn't look a lot different than it did 20 years earlier, except for the lack of Harvards :)

RobbieJr
15th Jul 2007, 04:17
I was 5 years old in 1952 when My dad, mother and I moved our trailer from Calgary, Alberata to the RCAF base near Claresholm. The following year when I was 6 years old we were the first family to move into a house for married quarters. I lived ther for 5 years - the longest I lived anywhere until I moved to Kincardine, Ontario 26 years ago.

My dad was a flight engineer who went to England in 1936 to escape the North American depression and join the RAF. After spending 9 years fighting both the Nazis and Japanese in Norway and from Bombay, India he tranferred to the RCAF in 1945 and came back to Canada.

I have a lot of fond memeories of the RCAF base in Claresholm. That is where I started school, ice hockey, piano lessons, baseball and golf. When I went back to that base about 20 plus years ago I nearly cried when I saw the old house gone and just a few old hangers left. That had been my home and it was gone.

Robbie Jr

saudipc-9
16th Jul 2007, 03:11
I did some sky diving there a few years back.