PDA

View Full Version : Yelling Captains Need To Go!

Romeo E.T.
17th May 2007, 15:14
found this active discussion thread on Airliners.net.... http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3411379/

Some dumb captain that was yelling his lungs out cost a regional a good pilot. A friend who was in training with a major regional airline was let go because of some stupid behavior of a training captain. This guy demanded to be called 'sir' all the time and he commented that these pilots in training were nothing but worthless piece of dung. (he used the word sh!t).

This is again, similar to my experience on a different regional where the training captain used profanities and he was also condescending on my ethnicity.

This is not 1940s or 50s. They have to open their minds and do what they are supposed to do: train.

Its not "local" but still very relevant..as many of us have encounterd this in our career path...

rockandroll1
17th May 2007, 22:48
That TC should be kicked out ASAP!

stop&go
18th May 2007, 12:05
There's always two sides to a story, some people don't hear so well and maybe a bit of volume was needed to get through selective hearing! Oh the pilot ego..... so fragile!
Give use a bit more gen. Was this person prepared, was he listening and following instruction, or was he wasting peoples time, money and effort!:=

Shockwave Sam
18th May 2007, 14:11
I thought this was a rumour network! Now it appears to be a boring whinge channel for little boys who cry when the teacher raises his/her voice. Grow up for ###'s (#$@*'s) sake and suck it up-maybe the TC needed to kick your sorry little a.se as he felt you probably were'nt the Sky God you thought you were!

Cruiseclimb
18th May 2007, 14:43
Regardless of what the other side of the story is.. There is no need to breakdown the crew coordination to the point of yelling. Bad business. Very unprofessional of the TC. As far as being called "Sir"... What a joke.

sslut
18th May 2007, 16:43
Anyone who demands to be called captain or sir has a terrible ego problem and hasn't yet come to understand that respect is earned and not demanded. Secondly call me a worthless piece of sh!t and I will slap him/her so hard they will feel it till next week. Shouting may be excused in the case of urgency as a stress release mechanism but other than that unacceptable at any time.
Clearly someone that has a huge inferiority problem and needs some serious help..maybe a boot up the arse.

Lex44
18th May 2007, 18:02
poor TC. Perhaps the age difference would shed more light to this. Respect is earned but from those who may not wish to show it, it maybe demanded.
Shouting is a no no. Maybe in a military camp.
Just lending an African touch to it.

maxrated
22nd May 2007, 18:20
Suitcaseman pray do drop us a further snippet of wisdom !

IMHO if anyone has to raise their voice in a cockpit they're a cr@p captain, if one was a good captain one would naturally command the respect and attention of one's subordinates / students.

nugpot
22nd May 2007, 19:13
If I read the original post correctly, a guy was let go (in other words failed his training) because a training captain shouted at him.

Methinks, some excuses were looked for and found.....

flyhardmo
23rd May 2007, 00:16
well said nugpot. Also seems that there are alot of whinging F/O's out there

Lou Stulewater
23rd May 2007, 15:29
Suitcaseman....you beat me to it:ok:

Frogman1484
26th May 2007, 23:56
was the captain shouting : PULL UP PULL UP!!!:}:}

tournesol
28th May 2007, 17:49
in extreme sucumstances the tc must say calmly but firmly " I HAVE CONTROL".
shouting and yelling causes only tensions and bad feelings.
at least that is what they teach in crm classes.

LongJohnThomas
30th May 2007, 14:05
When i read the posts of some pilots, it becomes increasingly obvious that some of us were either not trained well or at all.:eek::O
Regardless of circumstance in training, with the exception of an emergency situation, IT IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a training captain to yell at a student!!!!!! Period! It shows a complete lack of basic instructional technique, C.R.M., abuse of office and total ignorance with regards safety.:mad:
Students react differently to individual instructors; some improve under pressure and some break up under the same conditions. Yelling is so 1950's, it makes me sick to think pilots still exist that would create excuses for this sort of 'BAD BEHAVIOR'!!!:ugh::yuk:
Safety-wise, the training captain in question, is an accident waiting to happen! If a first officer really doesn't give a toss as to consequences of his actions, that flight was already an accident.
We all have our opinions, but; i don't think that to get a man to fly an airplane; shouting, yelling, abusive language, are requirements to be a trainer.
As far as i am concerned, it shows a lack of a good up-bringing, lousy manners, and purely bad taste!
These are certainly not the qualities we saw of the pilots before us; that spurred the rest of us to actually have an interest in becoming pilots.:ok:

bianchi
2nd Jun 2007, 12:27
Well said LJT !!!

So sad but true that some of these TC still float around,and all they do is "braking"pilots (captains or first officers) down and actually don't do there''job'' at all !! They should be''fired" ! Like you said"we don't live in the 1950's anymore".

Maybe they should be called a"destructor'' and not a instructor !!!

Just my 2 cents worth !!!

Rainboe
2nd Jun 2007, 13:11
Some of you need to stop questioning training methods and get on and produce the goods (or take the long walk, as this guy no doubt needed to). I was 'shouted at most cruelly' in my training, and looking back it was what I probably needed to produce my best. It did not harm, and to think some people think it worthy of striking their instructor back! Go work in a bank instead. Instructors get angry if they think you are not doing your best. Forget your feelings- you are there to learn, and not question methods. These people have shown they are instructors and they know how to do it, and they have done it before. So stop whinging, get your head down and learn, don't answer back and do your best!

Frogman1484
2nd Jun 2007, 13:49
I'm sorry but no matter how angry or frustrated an instructor gets, he should never lower himself to shouting. If that is his style he should be fired!!!

One more thing, if you know anything about psychology, you will also know that anger is a mask for fear.

Formally Known As
2nd Jun 2007, 14:07
Don't agree that anyone should throw tantrums, in the cockpit.

A check pilot will tell what you are doing wrong. A good instructor will tell you what you are doing wrong and show you how to do it right. If you need to yell at a student "you have lost it." period.

7/10's of instructioning, not yelling, is psychology. You will only get the best out of a student if he or she is relaxed. There some exceptions of course where the person is so damned cocky they need to be bought down a peg or 2.

I know of a case where a Captain was yelling and screaming his head off at some poor F/O and had been riding him for quiet sometime. His policy of yelling came back to haunt him at a later date, when they landed at a wrong airport. On speaking to the F/O, he knew they were approaching the wrong airport but said to himself, f**k him, let him carry on I'm leaving anyway. That guys, is the crust of it. If you are yelling and screaming at your crew, you have not only lost it and showing your crew you have, but you have cut the lines of communication. The communication that could one day save your life. It maybe something twivel, but a crew member that has been bullied, might say to hell with it, i'm not telling him. Sulking? Maybe but some people would say human nature. Bulling can take many forms by the way. Sarcasm comes to mind as it can be very suttle but of very low wit.

I am aware that yelling and screaming on the job is an indication of stress, an indication the purpertrator of such acts maybe out of his or her dept and is having difficulty coping with the situation.

hoggsnortrupert
3rd Jun 2007, 05:37
Never mind the fact that the stupid :mad: SOB, was going to kill us , I managed a very nice I have control, yet the stupid :mad: let go the control column, but left his foot on the Rudder pedal, still hard to its stop.
This Roman fellow had some challenges in gaining his LH seat up grade, yet he had about 5000 hrs, on Porters, you know tail wheel thingy's that you need to use your feet alot with.
And 1500 hrs RH seat in the Twotter.
He had over 30 hrs in the LH seat, ( supervised) with a basic multi rating with 300 hrs)
He was a nice guy that you wanted to help, wanted him to get there.
With a fully briefed, and talked through at length again in the "hot" office prior to cranking , he briefed me, we took off, at about 300ft AGL I Shouted "SIMULATED" and simulated a auto feather, by reducing power and prop simultaneously, (Prop to min governing) then when stabilised set power at 10lbs Tq ( ZERO THRUST).
He JUMPS on the rudder, and then starts to lose his extended centerline track! so what does he do???? tries to correct with opposite AILERON,
Skidding out of the sky this :mad: would not take his foot off the rudder pedal, I shouted yelled screamed, did all the things you are saying is BAD.
I had to push prop and power to max, and simultaneously stomp on the Pedal to regain control.
What did the weak useless:mad: say, you should have asked me again NICELY you did not have too SCREAM at me.
Afterwards he could not understand that he put in too much rudder, I asked him why he didn't "PACE" the rudder with the YAW.
He just looked at me, as for the Aileron he rekons that was what he was taught, yet with me up to this point, although being a CHALLENGE, he astounded me.
Wait until its your turn, you have a wife and family to support, while this useless :mad: is single.
Wait until it happens to you and see how calm you remain.
He put in a report to those in HQ, they said I was not treating him nice:mad::mad::mad::mad:

hyenacackle
3rd Jun 2007, 16:55
I say whining useless f/o's need to go. NOW!

atr72fo
3rd Jun 2007, 21:03
what's your problem dude ???
this ain't the 1940's anymore
ever heard of CRM ??
enough brains to get the concept ?
if yes to both questions
do yourself a favour
stop your dumbass (=unproffesional!) postings

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2007, 21:13
Sense of humour transplant didn't take then...?:E

hoggsnortrupert
3rd Jun 2007, 21:26
WOT WOT WOT SRT:
A Capt with a sense of humor, **** no can't have a F/o think Capt's are human
Whats the dif between a seagull and a F/o?:ugh::ugh:
CRM CRM CRM: atr ******: What part of I have control do you not understand?enjoy your play station.
H/Snort

cavortingcheetah
4th Jun 2007, 08:11
:hmm:
Hardly surprising really, given the fact that at the age of twenty two with 200hours, no one is much good for anything anyway!
In any event, if First Officers were thought to be of any use at all these days, the manufacturers would not be constantly striving for greater automation in the cockpit. Neither, incidentally, would there be a debate raging elsewhere on this forum about flying single crew King Airs.
It is actually high time that F/Os acknowledged the indisputable fact that they introduced the concept of CRM into aviation for purely selfish reasons,and, having done so, have never become proficient in its exercise themselves. First Officers always seek to post blame elsewhere. They should accept the fact that they are almost certainly completely superfluous appendages in today's advanced aviation atmosphere. It is hardly surprising therefore, that Captains, especially experienced ones, become exasperated at their very existence, let alone at their behaviour.:p

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jun 2007, 08:45
Twitching the lure, eh Spotty...?:E

Dream Land
4th Jun 2007, 09:05
Hardly surprising really, given the fact that at the age of twenty two with 200hours, no one is much good for anything anyway!
In any event, if First Officers were thought to be of any use at all these days, the manufacturers would not be constantly striving for greater automation in the cockpit. Neither, incidentally, would there be a debate raging elsewhere on this forum about flying single crew King Airs.
It is actually high time that F/Os acknowledged the indisputable fact that they introduced the concept of CRM into aviation for purely selfish reasons,and, having done so, have never become proficient in its exercise themselves. First Officers always seek to post blame elsewhere. They should accept the fact that they are almost certainly completely superfluous appendages in today's advanced aviation atmosphere. It is hardly surprising therefore, that Captains, especially experienced ones, become exasperated at their very existence, let alone by their behaviour. Wow! :eek: :E :}

hyenacackle
4th Jun 2007, 13:11
Now thats what I call a bite and a half :E:ok::E

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

I.R.PIRATE
4th Jun 2007, 13:26
It is actually high time that F/Os acknowledged the indisputable fact that they introduced the concept of CRM into aviation for purely selfish reasons,and, having done so, have never become proficient in its exercise themselves. First Officers always seek to post blame elsewhere. They should accept the fact that they are almost certainly completely superfluous appendages in today's advanced aviation atmosphere. It is hardly surprising therefore, that Captains, especially experienced ones, become exasperated at their very existence, let alone at their behaviour....

Champion!! Beatings will continue until morale improves

reptile
4th Jun 2007, 17:34
An F/O is allowed to say three things:

1) Clear to the right Captain

2) That was a great landing Captain

3) I'll take the short, ugly, fat one - Captain

Other than that, they're only good for keeping the trim in check..............

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jun 2007, 17:44
Too many shiny lures in the water. Think you've scared off the fish....;)

stop&go
4th Jun 2007, 18:12
If your flying abilities drive training captains to forget basic CRM principles, then maybe you should first start by looking at yourself...
The old timers have survived many things us youngsters can only begin to dream of, I suggest reading "FATE IS THE HUNTER" by Ernest K. Gann.
The mistakes in aviation are written in blood and sometimes psychological mumbo jumbo is not quite as effective as a good WAKE UP SLAP!
At the same time you also have to take it from where it comes i.e. a reputable instructor and you are the only one being shouted at maybe you should question yourself before looking for excuses. One thing you need to understand about aviation, your captain is not always going to be perfect, nor you instructor, nor your f/o, nor the weather or even the serviceability of your aircraft, not to mention ATC in certain areas of the world and if you can't learn to deal and handle these imperfections then you're in the wrong game!
P.s. If you are really a hot shot pilot, use your new CRM skills and turn the situation around.Aviation is not fair, it's full of dirty politics which makes me think this is what's going on here. If a training captian is really out of place there are many ways of dealing with sitiations like this, so take them on face to face, but make sure your nose is clean, because if it's not you will be known as the idiot.