PDA

View Full Version : Security concern domestic services in Australia

concernedbagboy
17th May 2007, 11:56
Are Qantas and Virgin pilots aware that pax checked baggage are consistantly departing the originating port prior to the pax; without the bags being security cleared?:= I'm sure that DOTARS would like to know this as this is a major security breach!

llondel
17th May 2007, 17:20
It's not uncommon in the US either. I've heard announcements in baggage reclaim that passengers who checked in early may find that their luggage arrived on an earlier flight and that they ought to go visit the airline's baggage office, located near carousel X. And when they screw it up, it arrives on a later flight, if you're lucky. However, in the US case it's probably all been unpacked, examined and repacked.

mickjoebill
17th May 2007, 20:52
On a few recent internal flights in OZ I presented ID at check in but it was not checked at any other time in the boarding process.

So it is possible to hand the boarding pass to A.N. Other who can board the plane unchallenged.

Is this standard practice in OZ?

Pretty easy to implimenet an ID check at the gate?

Mickjoebill

christep
18th May 2007, 12:49
ID swapping would be a revenue protection issue not a security issue. It really doesn't matter from a security point of view whether you are who you claim to be - what is important is whether you have the means and desire to take down the plane. If someone is security screened then it really doesn't matter what plane they get on.