PDA

View Full Version : Learning to fly in and round Cambridge - PPL(A)

mdc
17th May 2007, 00:47
Subject says it all really, I'm looking to learn to fly and live just outside Cambridge. I've looked at MASF and Cambridge Aero Club at Cambridge Airport as well as received information from NSF at Sibson.
I'd be grateful if anyone has any experiences of learning to fly with these organisations and the pros/cons of a large airport like Cambridge with full ATC as opposed to a smaller grass strip like Sibson.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Dark Helmet
17th May 2007, 07:16
Have you considered RFC at Bourn?

Wessex Boy
17th May 2007, 08:24
Conington is a bit closer to Cambridge than Sibson, has a hard Runway and is diversifying it's fleet nicely.
They currently have 4 x C152 (inc 1 Aerobat)
1 x PA28 161 Warrior
1 x Arrow
1 x Duchess
1 x Chipmunk (wa-hey!)
and an AA5 on its way

I also think it is a little cheaper than either Cambridge or Sibson (C152 is about £100/hr, the Warrior is £128/hr) All their Instructors are mature, serious career instructors, with no Hours builders!

If you haven't already guessed I am currently a member their and am thoroughly enjoying my re-validation. My Kids love coming up for lunch at the flying club too, they have a good clubhouse, with outside patio area facing the Pan

Pop along to the bar for a drink and chat sometime

flexy
17th May 2007, 09:08
I like connington - good sarnies! Other options are to do 3 Avis Microlight NPPL (which is 25 hours not 45) You can do this on a Eurostar or C42 etc which perform better than most Group A tin cans anyway. Options I guess are Sutton Meadows or Chatteris (both near Cambridge) With the 25 hours training you save you can do lots more solo flying or deposit for you own aircraft - Try it you'll love it. I have flown most other types and wouldnt change for the world!

PS I would be more than happy to give you a go should you wish - that way you can see if it is for you! I am around Cambs most weekends.

mdc
19th May 2007, 12:57
Thanks folks.

I'll check out Connington, although I was hoping to avoid the nightmare that's the A14 and A1 at certain times of the day.

J.A.F.O.
19th May 2007, 13:31
I've only visited Conington once and it seemed a very friendly place.

I spent a few days at NSF and the instruction was fantastic and I'd highly recommend them if they're close enough for you.

Seems you're spoilt for choice.

bookworm
19th May 2007, 17:10
I'm slightly surprised no one has put in a word for Cambridge Aero Club. I can't claim to have learnt to fly there, but having been based at Cambridge for 20 years I'd recommend it as a highly professional organisation.

Cambridge is an excellent airport to learn at. It's not very busy, but you get the experience of ATC and an interesting mix of traffic.

Cusco
19th May 2007, 17:27
I feel that Cambridge could turn out a tad expensive: If money's no option and Cambridge is your most convenient airfield then go for it:

I did my PPL training if MASF's predecessor, the Ipswich School of flying:(ISF) which of course is no more: I have however used MASF for biennials, differences etc and have found them very helpful.

When costing flying training be sure to find out whether or not landing fees are included it your hourly rate: 'cos if they're not, an hour of T & Gs will work out pretty pricey.

That said, learning in the relatively busy but not too crowded environment of a commercial airfield will lessen the shock of landaways if all you are used to is a grass strip in the middle of nowhere.

Horses for courses.

Safe and enjoyable flying training

Cusco.;) ;)

mdc
19th May 2007, 21:53
When I called into MASF to have a chat, I enquired about local landing fees and was told these are chargeable, I was told this would total about £300 over the PPL course. Not a huge cost when you take into account the overall cost of a PPL, but an additional charge non the less.
When I spoke to Cambridge Aero Club I was told landing fees wouldn't be chargeable, if completing my PPL with them.

As Cusco mentioned, Cambridge looks like it would be the most expensive option (either MASF or CAC), however it is a commercial airport with full ATC and a mix of GA and other traffic.

Could those with greater experience tell me if in their opinion learning to fly and getting a grounding in this type of environment, justifies the additional cost.
On paper it would seem be advantageous but in reality this may not be the case.

thanks,

Michael

Gertrude the Wombat
20th May 2007, 08:46
I learned at Cambridge Aero Club, as a result of which I'm perfectly happy landing away at a full ATC airport and have to think a bit harder at one without! You do occasionally share the circuit with bizjets, airliners, military aircraft practising or positioning for a Duxford air show, and often with helicopters, which makes things more interesting.

Yes it's not the cheapest school around, but as well as the highly professional training and maintenance you also get, should you care (some do and some don't), new(ish) aircraft with (usually) all the electronics working, rather than forty year old heaps with no working navigation kit.

Going back not that many years, several of the instructors were highly experienced test pilots who did a bit of teaching so as to spend a few more hours in the air and a few less with paperwork, not the sort of training opportunity you usually get. There seem to be fewer such types around these days ... but there's still at least one who comes in at the weekends as a retirement job.

effortless
20th May 2007, 09:19
I've flown with Cambridge Flying Group (http://www.cambridgeflyinggroup.co.uk/) a few times if you fancy a real aeroplane. Prices have gone up over the last few years but the instructors don't get paid so all tyhe money all goes to new string.

rats404
20th May 2007, 12:59
RFC Bourn for excellent instruction, reasonable prices and a proper grass roots aviation experience.

I recently asked around (not far from you) as I'm revalidating my PPL. Bourn was one suggestion, and was excellent advice.

YMMV of course.

Rats404

The Member
20th May 2007, 20:30
I am in the final period of my NPPL at Conington and would say to you come up and see Gavin and Julie and get a feel for the set up.
I looked at Sibson and they to are friendly however the fact that Conington has a Tarmac Runway swayed me over Sibson and the problems with grass in the wet Winters (or Summers!).
A14 is problem but plan your lessons around the peak periods.
Whoever you choose - Happy Flying.:ok:

The Member

FlyFreeWbe
25th May 2007, 10:07
whichever one you choose, you'll be getting first rate training for experienced people who love their job. both clubs are awesome. the intructors care a lot about your quality of flying, improving your capabilities and making sure your on a path of constant improvement. the only difference is that cambridge train you to cope with busy airfields where you'll probably end up doing several orbits, go-arounds, the option to do crosswind landings or not, PFLs (onto different runways) and sharing the radio frequency with important pilots in their bizjets from far away....while sibson train you to cope with small spaces, caring for the local comfort level, integrating with people falling to the ground without support at g, and avoiding fast jets that could kill either close up or from scotland etc.

i've added a list you can use to help you think about it, but don't go on my word, visit them and talk to the club managers. get a tour of the aircraft even if possible. all in all i'd say that cambridge is very professional, and sibson also caters for the social aspect. i like both.

Sibson
wide variety of club aircraft
reasonable membership
total cover within membership (insurance)
large flying group - regular get togethers
multiple group flying arrangements with overnight stays in far away places
advanced training
rural airfield - hone skills for things like precision landings
friendly competitions
landings included in package
flight store shop

Cambridge
high performance aircraft - maintained above standard
reasonable membership
total cover within membership (insurance)
busy airfield - learn procedures quickly for typical ATC airfields
group arrangements
advanced training
landings included in package - CAC subsidiary to MA. MA own airfield.
flight store shop

can't think of anything else, sorry. anyway, leave you to it. whichever you choose i look forward to flying with you again