PDA

View Full Version : Radio Checks

pulse1
16th May 2007, 11:04
A friend of mine is preparing for his RT exam and has been given some training notes from a commercial FTO. These notes describe a hypothetical flight from A to B.
On first call up they say that a radio check should be carried out on the Tower AND Approach frequencies. Now I know that, in theory at least, one should check each radio but I've never thought that one should check both frequencies. I have never, ever heard anyone do it and I can imagine that, at some airports, it would be a right pain on busy frequencies where it can be difficult to get a word in anyway.
They also say that, if you don't book out by telephone you should book out by radio on first call. Now, booking out by phone, you are usually required to give aircraft type, POB, destination, estimated duration of flight and fuel duration. All I have ever done on the radio is say type, POB, destination and flight conditions.
Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

aluminium persuader
16th May 2007, 11:14
If you've booked out by phone all you need to do on the r/t is request start (if required at the airfield) or taxi. ATC will already have all the other details from your phone call.

With regard to a radio check, it could be useful to check on a second frequency to confirm your radio is dialling up correctly. Of course, this would only worked if you dialled up a new freq and then selected it, rather than just using whatever's already in the flip-flop. I would think, though, that one check on each box would suffice.

Also, don't forget that there's no need to commence with a radio check a la
"XXX Tower, G-ABCD req radio-check" followed by
"G-CD req start".

Just the start request will fill the same function as a separate radio chek and save (from ATC point of view certainly) valuable air-time.
Ie if you req start & get no response check your radio set-up!

ap

BackPacker
16th May 2007, 12:10
Furthermore, "booking out" is not something that the ICAO, ANO or whatever mandates, but is an airfield specific procedure, and only seems to be a requirement at most UK airfields anyway. It's, as far as I'm concerned, a polite way of saying bye-bye and a chance for the operator to check whether you've settled all bills.

In the Netherlands, at uncontrolled fields, you walk to the "C" after landing, pay your dues and head for the restaurant. When filled up you just walk to your aircraft, give your details (A/C type, callsign, POB, PIC name) and request departure information, then start the engine, taxi and take-off with the appropriate radio calls. No need to formally "book out".

On a controlled field everything is based on your FPL (which is mandatory for controlled fields in NL anyway) so it's even simpler.

I only do a formal radio check if I think there might be something wrong with my radio, or when ATC calls me or my fellow pilot "unreadable".

Chilli Monster
16th May 2007, 12:14
In the Netherlands, at uncontrolled fields, you walk to the "C" after landing, pay your dues and head for the restaurant. When filled up you just walk to your aircraft, give your details (A/C type, callsign, POB, PIC name) and request departure information, then start the engine, taxi and take-off with the appropriate radio calls. No need to formally "book out".

That'll be the same as the UK then ;)

aluminium persuader
16th May 2007, 12:30
Not quite!

From CAA Manual of Air Traffic Services, Pt1 -

13 Booking Out
Pilots who do not file a flight plan, either full or abbreviated, are required to inform the air traffic service unit at the aerodrome of their departure. This is referred to as booking out. The air traffic service unit is to record the departure. No further action is required.

However most UK airfields add info to the above -
a/c type, POB, endurance, dest etc.

Chilli Monster
16th May 2007, 12:50
aluminium persuader - note the words Uncontrolled Airfields enclosed in the quote box ;)

aluminium persuader
16th May 2007, 14:40
Hey Chilli, ya clown! Wasn't talking to you! I was referring to what Backpacker said about booking-out not being officially mandated.

That said, I did leave it a bit ambiguous cos I knew you wouldn't be able to resist nibbling!:E

ap;)

jamestkirk
16th May 2007, 14:50
I may have to just go a check the following in more detail:

I am pretty sure that you do not have to request a radio check.

Here at Shoreham it is not encouraged by ATC as it takes up valuable RT time when it is busy. Some of you might know how murderous it can get at Shoreham.

If there are any RT guru's out there, my understanding is:

Radio check to check servicibility (obviously) if YOU require that service. Otherwise, the ground station concerned will pass a readability scale of TX if you are not 'as clear as you should be'. Even though most do it anyway.

Spitoon
16th May 2007, 18:30
A radio check is one of those procedures that had a valid purpose in the old days but it is less important today. Like many other similar procedures it will die out over time unless there is a real benefit or justification. I am not aware of any legal or procedural requirement for a radio check but ATS will respond if asked. In reality, if you've done all the RTF for start and taxi and no-one has mentioned that your transmissions are garbage you can probably assume all is working OK.

However, it is not strictly correct (or at all) to sayFurthermore, "booking out" is not something that the ICAO, ANO or whatever mandates, but is an airfield specific procedure, and only seems to be a requirement at most UK airfields anyway.In the UK Rules of the Air Regulations Rule 17(2) says:
The commander of an aircraft arriving at or departing from an aerodrome in the United Kingdom shall take all reasonable steps to ensure upon landing or prior to departure, as the case may be, that notice of that event is given to the person in charge of the aerodrome, or to the air traffic control unit or aerodrome flight information service unit at the aerodrome.

Nipper2
16th May 2007, 19:21
When flying in spam from 'proper' airports with two radios (not very often these days) my first call is "XXX tower, G-ABCD, northern apron with information alpha, radio check and taxi". Once I have completed the power checks I switch to box two and call "XXX tower, G-ABCD, ready for departure and radio check box two". That way I can be fairly sure both boxes are working without taking up much of anyone's time.

As someone who has had an unfair share of radio failures, I always have both boxes tuned to tower with approach on the flip-flop. It keeps your options open.

fireflybob
16th May 2007, 20:36
What does irritate me a little is when I just call for "Departure Information" and the A/G operator replies "Readability 5....etc". If I wanted a Radio Check I would ask for it!

Also concerning "Booking Out" - PLEASE would pilots do this by reporting to the person in charge of the aerodrome or on the telephone and NOT on the radio. There is far too much extraneous chat at many GA fields now and when there is only one freq for AG and a busy circuit there's nothing worse than trying to get an important call in when the AG is asking "Are you landing away", "Captains name" (usually quite unpronouncable requiring spelling) "Souls on Board", "Endurance" etc!! Also booking out in the correct manner will reduce YOUR workload when you call for taxi etc.

Andy_RR
17th May 2007, 03:58
FWIW, when training at Jandakot I have experienced a radio failure where we could transmit with good readability on the ground frequency (124.3) but not the tower frequency (119.4). Strangely, we could receive clearly on both frequencies.

This caused some consternation whilst waiting at the hold wondering why I was not getting any response to my ready call. Eventually, tower got frustrated with the situation and cleared us to taxi back via the active to get us out of their road - obviously with no clearance readback.

On the taxi back, we radio checked several frequencies, but only had problems on the tower frequency of 119.4, but not the second tower frequency of 118.1

Not that it has gotten me into the habit of checking every frequency I will be using mind...

A