PDA

View Full Version : What does "Unverified" mean?

kemblejet01
15th May 2007, 13:38
Folks,

I am looking at a radar screen print out of one of my aircraft showing a squawk a level and then RG349.

In the accompanying text the level is described as "unverified" - what does this mean?

TA

KMB 01

Chilli Monster
15th May 2007, 14:03
Mode 'C' Level hasn't be verified with an altimeter cross check by an ATC unit.

anotherthing
15th May 2007, 14:04
Not knowing what your screen setup is, I would say that the RG349 was radar derived ground speed.

The 'unverified' means that the Mode C has not been checked for accuracy. i.e. if you were passing traffic information on the contact, you would only know what level you 'think' it is at, not what you know for certain it is at

chevvron
15th May 2007, 14:34
kemblejet one: are you using an SBS-1? If so you may be committing an offence.
RG349 sounds like a military reg. to me, in which case it would be part of a Mode S label.

Spitoon
16th May 2007, 06:29
SBS-1 (http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/sbs-1.php)

In answer to the orginal question - unverified as described by Chilli and another, is more a concept used by controllers in the UK to understand whether parts of the secondary surveillance radar data shown on the display needs to be checked by that controller or whether he/she can assume that they are correct. It is not a concept that is implemented in any radar display system that I have seen although I guess it could be a default value used until a positive action is taken to check the data. Having said that, I'm an approach person myself and en-route radar systems are often more sophisticated when it comes to processing data so if your source is an en-route RDP system maybe this is what it's about.

If you want anything more definitive you'll have to be more specific about where you are looking at the radar and what the equipment is.

bookworm
16th May 2007, 07:32
kemblejet one: are you using an SBS-1?

Why would an SBS-1 describe any data as "unverified"? When would ADS-B data received by something like that ever be "verified"?

Ppdude
16th May 2007, 08:16
rg345 or whatever has nothing to do with Military. Every track mil and civil has them now at manch

lobby
16th May 2007, 09:58
Just out of interest, where do people stand legaly with these pieces of kit?

Acer101
16th May 2007, 14:17
Quote:
Just out of interest, where do people stand legaly with these pieces of kit?

Perfectly legal when used as supplied. Data is live with no delay. However, the data feed out of the back of the box which can be read by various add-ons is delayed by 5 minutes. Kintic originally sold the SBS-1 with a "yet to be developed" networking facility which would allow sharing of live data by anybody with the SBS-1. Kinetic have subsequently removed this claim from their blurb, stating threats from "official sources" about security. One of the tabloid rags ran a scare story which didn't help. See the Kinetic Forum for more details.

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/

Range is around 200nm with base of cover being typical as for SSR returns. About 50-60% of all airline traffic transmits the full ADS-B signal which gives position and plot on the SBS-1 Basestation software just like an SSR only radar. The other aircraft show up in the "list" table but with no position. Military aircraft, needless to say, don't transmit their position.