PDA

View Full Version : PPL instructor

jerezflyer
14th May 2007, 20:00
Does anybody know if in the future there will be an FI rating without the need for commercial exams aimed at PPLs that want to eventaully instruct PPL only without becoming a commercial pilot??

Thanks for any comments.

BEagle
14th May 2007, 20:16
We're trying to develop something for the NPPL SSEA Class Rating - but who knows what spanners the Kölunatics of EASA will throw into the works.....

Spunk
14th May 2007, 20:35
the Kölunatics of EASA

Wow, is that the official english "term technique"? I love it.

mazzy1026
16th May 2007, 13:41
Fingers crossed Beagle - I'd certainly be one to go for it ;)

Sleeve Wing
16th May 2007, 19:46
'Bout time too, eh, BEagle ?
It's a fact there are some very good guys out there who just haven't the time or the wherewithall to do the CPL bit.

Besides it weren't broke before but, after all the interference, we now need to fix it ! :ok:

SQUAWKIDENT
5th Jun 2007, 12:56
I have read a number of rumours and discussion on various GA forums about a proposed EASA PPL Flying Instructor rating where the prospective FI would take a specific exam designed for those who wish to be "career" instructors at PPL level (and be paid for it) and DO NOT WANT to enter the commercial airline environment (therefore avoiding the cost/time of training for the CPL).
I presume this is different to the NPPL FI proposal?

I know some Instructors are against this - and I can understand why if they are career instructors (not airline wannabes). However there does appear to be a serious Instructor shortage at the moment and it looks set to get worse.

The CFI of one very large flying school based near London told me that by September they will have only TWO instructors at their base (HIM and one other). The rest are leaving this Summer to go into airline jobs.

Surely an "EASA PPL Only" FI course would be an excellent way of encouraging basic PPLs (like me!) to further their knowledge and understanding of flying, earn a wage AND pass on their passion to the next generation of private pilots without the expense and time required with the current CPL syllabus.

mazzy1026
6th Jun 2007, 07:41
Here's a thought - if such a rating did come about, would it be valid in the UK only, or in any of the JAR states?

xrayalpha
6th Jun 2007, 07:54
Of course there already is a UK one - accepted in many, many countries worldwide.

Its the NPPL (microlights) Instructor Rating.

My guys get paid 35 quid an hour and have no option but to make FI a career!

The old microlight medical was basically adapted as the NPPL medical.

Why not now adopt the microlight FI standards?

ps. As another thread shows, it is possible to be an FI microlight, train someone up to test standard and then - using a CRI hat - give them three free hours training in a light aircraft version of a microlight (ie Group A C42 Ikarus or Eurostar) to get a NPPL SSEA. So the route is almost there - you just can't get paid for the last three hours (but three free hours flying after you've paid for 40-odd isn't too much of a hardship!)