PDA

View Full Version : Closest airfield to London?

AdamFrisch
14th May 2007, 13:32
You might rememeber my question about closest airfield to Hastings, only to find out it is Lydd, as expected. Unless I can charm my way into some of the small private farm fields closer.

At the other end, what's the airfield closest to London that accepts GA? Some say it's Elstree, others Northolt, Denham or Biggin Hill. Which one is it?

Final 3 Greens
14th May 2007, 13:35
Depends how you define "London."

Kolibear
14th May 2007, 13:42
Within the M25, you have Stapleford, Jenkins Farm, Gerpin's Farm, Damyn's Hall, Biggin Hill, Kenley, Denham & Elstree. Fairoaks is just outside.

There are another couple of airfields too, but they aren't very GA-friendly. :)

AdamFrisch
14th May 2007, 13:56
London to me = W1

rotorboater
14th May 2007, 14:14
I have always found Elstree the easiest to get into central London from, its a 5 min cab from the tube & then about 25mins into town

172driver
14th May 2007, 14:21
Denham's quite easy to get to/from also. Trains (Chiltern Rail) from Marylebone station, then a short cab ride.

Fuji Abound
14th May 2007, 14:51
I have tried them all.

Elstree without any doubt in terms of speed and reliability of getting into W1.

Watch out for the Millenium stadium if you take the train - its odd how the train line seems to take an orbit around it! :)

cwinterb
14th May 2007, 14:54
Elstree to London via Cardiff? I can't believe that's very quick.

airborne_artist
14th May 2007, 15:06
Elstree to London via Cardiff? I can't believe that's very quick.

That's rail privatisation for you. Was far quicker before the war (the Boer War).

cirrus01
14th May 2007, 15:07
It would take a long time if it goes via Cardiff :) :)

Keygrip
14th May 2007, 16:06
Gatwick accepts GA - and a decent rail link to "London".

Heathrow would accept multi engine GA - but not single engine any more (my first visit there was in a Piper Arrow).

I doubt, however, that this is the ideal information you are looking for.

chevvron
14th May 2007, 16:07
How about Fairlop or Hornchurch? Seriously though, Northolt is unlikely to accept single engine aircraft.

Kirstey
14th May 2007, 16:23
Battersea Heliport

airborne_artist
14th May 2007, 17:24
Closest to Trafalgar Square does not mean it will be the quickest for you to get to, nor the best for your needs, so you'll need to research the contenders.

Fuji Abound
14th May 2007, 20:10
Ooop forgive me I meant Wembley of course. Having recently been to the Millenium stadium to watch Wales beat England (:} ) you can see that stadium made far more impression on me!!

As to Gatwick it might be a good idea but for the 24 hour notice, strick slot times and an asking price of well over £150 at non peak times.

I have never considered Redhill - I suppose it might be worth a try but I have a feeling none of the fast trains stop there. It may not be all that quick getting to the station either.

I always think that Biggin should be a good bet, but it is sadly let down by the awful rail links into town.

tonker
14th May 2007, 20:49
Somebody once told me that Brooklands was available for light aircraft and that they stamp your logbook too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DBChopper
14th May 2007, 21:48
I always think that Biggin should be a good bet, but it is sadly let down by the awful rail links into town.

Not really. A ten minute taxi ride gets you to Bromley South BR station then it's less than 20 minutes into Victoria (ok that's SW1, but nearly there).

I have never considered Redhill - I suppose it might be worth a try but I have a feeling none of the fast trains stop there.

A similar length of cab ride puts you at Gatwick and the Gatwick Express whizzes you to... Victoria again.

(not picking on you in particular Fuji - they are just the only two I really know anything about ;) )

scooter boy
15th May 2007, 00:17
My Ha'pennies worth:

Central London options approaching from the Southwest my Luvver...
"About as easy as slipping a sly six inch suppository into Ken Livingstone's backside sideways without him noticing (or enjoying it)".:E

Battersea - @£450 + parking + vat a throw its not such a good option. In addition to this it takes a good 25 mins by cab to get to W1 - London really needs a better heliport with less greedy ownership.:=

Elstree - OK, but more like 45 mins on the tube from Stanmore to W1. I must admit I don't recall getting a particularly hearty welcome from the grumpy bugger :mad: in the box at Elstree, in fact when I went in to pay my landing fee he was casting doubt upon the parentage of a visiting pilot in between grumpy radio calls - horrible grumpy miserable man in claustrophobic box - (made a mental note not to come back).

Denham - never been but its my next one on the trying list ;)

Fairoaks - a real ballache to get into the city via Woking railway station - when I landed there last year in my Mooney the ATC person said "the last 2 accidents we had here were Mooneys - both went off the end of the runway - twas indeed a trice short but I made it with about 20cm to spare! :}

Northolt - you need to be with Netjets or called Windsor or with the forces - they give the cold shoulder to civvy pilots unless you have at least 6 engines and are called Abramovich.:rolleyes:

For Heathrow Airport, White Waltham + 15mins taxi

For Gatwick Airport, Redhill + 10mins taxi

Basically, there is no easy way in.

Rant over,

SB :E

derekf
15th May 2007, 08:01
Not really. A ten minute taxi ride gets you to Bromley South BR station then it's less than 20 minutes into Victoria (ok that's SW1, but nearly there).
It may be 10 minutes during the day in non-peak hours, but if you're flying in to get to London in the morning for business and hit the rush hour it can take between 20 and 30 minutes for the cab ride alone :ugh:

S-Works
15th May 2007, 08:05
I have been into London City a couple of times. Off peak it was not to nut wrenching cost wise.

You do have to get a steep approach certification in your book, I got mine from Oxford who have adjustable PAPI. The aircraft also has to have a steep approach certification. City keep a log of types with the certification. And of course it has to have at least 2 engines.

Airport to City about 30 mins.

172driver
15th May 2007, 08:35
scooter, you should really give Denham a go. Chiltern Trains are - usually - on time and clean and take about 15-20 mins to - you guessed it, W1 :ok: in the form of Marylebone Station. The cab ride from the field to the station is about 5 mins. Approaching from the SW, this is also easy to fly into. Haven't been there in a while, but the general atmosphere was always friendly. And if you need to go to The City, why not try to hitch a ride on the medevac chopper which lives there and flies to the roof of the Royal London every morning ;)

wsmempson
15th May 2007, 11:07
I'm pretty certain that there is a 550 m private strip just to the north of gatwick. You should then be able to hop on the gatwick express....
:rolleyes:

skyfiend
15th May 2007, 11:54
In a similar situation to yourself and have looked at Denham, Elstree, Stapleford and WW so far.

Denham my favourite. Just short of hangarage :}

nouseforaname
15th May 2007, 12:11
I've looked into this one also. I don't think that there is anywhere which you could substitute a car for really. I'm in the construction industry and i'm desparately looking for something with river frontage east of the isle of dogs that I can land my H500 on. Could also use it for a storage yard etc.

Hindsight is a great thing but can you imagine if you took a punt and bought something out there before we won the Olympics!?:{

AdamFrisch
15th May 2007, 14:15
Waterview has some land with planning persmission for sale on the island Garricks Ait in the middle of the Thames (west, Hampton way). Don't think your neighbours would love you if you plop a H500 down in their backyard, but you never know.

www.waterview.co.uk

172driver
15th May 2007, 14:25
I've looked into this one also. I don't think that there is anywhere which you could substitute a car for really. I'm in the construction industry and i'm desparately looking for something with river frontage east of the isle of dogs that I can land my H500 on. Could also use it for a storage yard etc.

Damyn's Hall ? No river frontage, AFAIK, but otherwise should fit the bill

stickandrudderman
15th May 2007, 14:29
"Denham my favourite. Just short of hangarage"

New hangar nearly finished:ok:

nouseforaname
16th May 2007, 08:46
172driver......Where is Daymn's Hall then?

172driver
16th May 2007, 09:39
Where is Daymn's Hall then?

here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damyns_Hall_Aerodrome)

AFAIK there is a helo operation living there as well.

Saadatmir
16th May 2007, 10:28
Hornchurch....? That's fine if you want to land on a housing estate. Plus the tube takes about an hour, and the district line has the worst carriages.

nouseforaname
16th May 2007, 13:49
Daymns Hall looks ok but quite a long way out of London. How long is the strip there and what is the grass surface like? Suitable for a retractable aircraft with poor prop/ground clearance?

172driver
16th May 2007, 18:21
Daymns Hall looks ok but quite a long way out of London. How long is the strip there and what is the grass surface like? Suitable for a retractable aircraft with poor prop/ground clearance?

No idea, I've never been there myself, but have heard about it. Also once needed to charter a helo (didn't in the end), and they were based there, can't remember name of outfit now. It's not a million miles out and seems pretty close to transport into Canary Wharf / City.

tonker
16th May 2007, 22:06
Get a float plane............River Thames:ok:

pistongone
16th May 2007, 22:39
Vanguard Heliport is on Westferry road E14, not sure if its public or not? I know a chap who fly's in there and takes a taxi bike to London wall, door to door in 50 minutes ish!! I think he has a Gazzelle, or atleast he did say 4 years ago. But i am sure the helipad is open still.

skyfiend
17th May 2007, 10:27
SNRM: "Denham my favourite. Just short of hangarage"

New hangar nearly finished:ok:

It'll be like something out of a Kevin Costner movie though... "If you build it, they will come." :}

Bet it will be full by the time I get sorted with a Pitts :{

Edited as it didn't quote for some reason...

rolling20
17th May 2007, 12:19
Er what about Southend?!
Open 24hrs, ILS/NDB and has 1600m of lovely tarmac.
Its a lot cheaper than Biggin Hill too.
Theres a fast train service (approx 45min)to Liverpool st station, just 5mins by taxi away. Infact the line runs across the threshold of Rwy 24!
Enjoy...

scooter boy
17th May 2007, 14:36
Vanguard heliport?

Alan Sugar used it in this series of the apprentice. Still open but twin helis only.

SB

AdamFrisch
2nd Oct 2009, 21:46
Sorry to bring up this old thread again, but has anyone been in to Damyns Hall just outside London City CTA? I've heard great things - friendly, cheap and welcoming.

C42
2nd Oct 2009, 22:28
Damyns hall

600m smooth grass 450m cross wind runway, fuel, cafe busy socialy

there is about 35 aircraft based there ranging from flex wing microlights to Stearmans, Replica P51 Mustang, a couple pitts specials etc

we have PA 28s in and also Cherokie 6 etc but it is only 600m (soon to be 750m as the runway is being extended)

and was the home of 21 century biggles!! LOL!!

overandout
4th Oct 2009, 09:25
I used Damyn's Hall for london last week.
Good grass runway (dimensions etc widely known).
But best of all is that you should not use the long slow tube. Take the main line train from Upminster (5 mins £6 taxi ride) direct one or two stops only to London Fenchurch Street Station. 20 mins only on train.

Mini cab office on Upminster station with plenty of instant cabs for return journey

Hugh_Jarse
5th Oct 2009, 14:26
Tried most of them, and I reckon Elstree is the best of a bad lot. If you can sweet talk the tower into ordering you a cab when you're 5 mins out, then it's a 5 min cab ride to Borehamwood for the train to KingsX (Thameslink), about 20 mins or so IIRC ...

wsmempson
5th Oct 2009, 16:21
On the north western side of London Denham is probably the closest geographically, and the walk to the station is 15minutes (downhill there, uphill back). Very convenient, just a shame about the looney who works in the tower sometimes, who goes out of his way to make life as difficult as possible for pilots, seemingly at random. I moved away because of him to somewhere much friendlier, but further away...:sad:

HighTow
5th Oct 2009, 17:48
Isn't Kidlington in London now?

wsmempson
5th Oct 2009, 17:53
QUOTE: "Isn't Kidlington in London now?"

Or 'London Ashford International'?
:rolleyes:

AdamFrisch
10th Dec 2009, 21:23
Sorry to dredge this old one up, but I flew in to Damyns Hall today and they were very friendly. It was pretty quiet at the end of the day as the airport manager (I think) was flying around the circuit! I left my 6 quid in the cafeteria, had a quick tea and flew off again. But nice field, nice grass and clearly visible from the air with the rwy bollards.

Some scary high tension lines just by the threshold to rwy 21, though, so beware.

steveking
11th Dec 2009, 22:19
I'm based at Damyns and all are welcome to visit. £6 landing fee even in a helicopter. Runway 21 does have pylons on the approach, just offset your approach to the right slightly and straighten up once past the pylon. If no air A/G then traffic calls are fine.