PDA

View Full Version : BALPA Subscription

Threethirteen
13th May 2007, 23:29
Hi all,

This is a bit sticky but here goes;

Interest Rates are on the rise and I'm tightening my financial belt.

BALPA is one financial expenditure I've always regarded as a professional necessity, but have had reservations about. Some Charter guys say it's the BA Line Pilots Association. Some ex-BA guys say it did nothing to help them in their hour of need.

Since it is my Company's representative Pilot Union, I feel I should stay as a member, but then the Company non-members get the same service as I do; all I get is an expensive magazine subscription.

Views/Opinions/Questions/Suggestions Please.

Strepsils
14th May 2007, 11:13
I feel I should stay as a member, but then the Company non-members get the same service as I do
Then coax these guys to pay the 1% to get their pay rise. If everyone let balpa do the work to get a pay rise without being a member then there would be, umm, no balpa, hence no (or an inferior) pay rise. And most likely inferior terms and conditions.
In the interests of fairness, BALPA aren't the only option, and whilst I'm not the most "pro-union" person in the world, overall I feel you're better in than out.

Fredairstair
15th May 2007, 10:30
Are you claiming tax relief on 2/3rds of your subs? That helps ease the pain.

Lots of good reasons to be in. Don't be a FLSB!;)

Piltdown Man
15th May 2007, 22:11
Pay the cash, participate and help those that negotiate for you to do so. Remember, that those who don't pay, don't have a choice and have no say over what has been negotiated. Pity!

PM

Threethirteen
21st May 2007, 01:03
FLSB ?????????????????

Just done a Duty that no Union could support, yet Crewing saw no probs.

What is Legal is different to what is humane.

Mister Geezer
25th May 2007, 16:12
However is the IPA a better deal nowadays?