PDA

View Full Version : How to log IFR-night (JAR)?

FCS Explorer
13th May 2007, 08:49
Having been informed by the high command that "flying without a JAR-conform log book is like flying without licence" :
how am i supposed to log all those night hours, especially when the sector is during dusk/dawn? (and what is a licence anyway?:} )

FCS Explorer
13th May 2007, 17:38
actually i've heard of that 30-minutes-thing during the last ten years i've been in aviation. maybe i shoud've been more precise with my question:
flying in and out of night/day, do you guys really pay exact attention to the moment when the sun finally slips behind the horizon (+30 minutes) to EXACTLY divide a sector's time between day & night?
or do you just say: heck, i'll just take one third of whole flight time i make and call it NIGHT.:hmm: or what?

Engine overtemp
13th May 2007, 19:25
flying in and out of night/day, do you guys really pay exact attention to the moment when the sun finally slips behind the horizon (+30 minutes) to EXACTLY divide a sector's time between day & night?

It's measured at the surface so even if we were to keep an eye on the exact time the sun disappeared / reappeared, we'd be inaccurate.

Personally I make my best estimate but as I don't need to count the hours towards any licence issue, I don't imagine I will get picked up on it!