PDA

View Full Version : 3 month on PPL in OZ Vs. 3 weeks in USA! Why??

Constanse
12th May 2007, 15:34
I have decided I am going to do my PPL + hour building in either Australia, NZ, South Africa, or the USA.

I would prefer not to go back to the USA (I used to live there and I don't like it :uhoh: ), but it worries me that Australia and NZ says it takes 3 months full-time to achieve your PPL. That could be expensive in accomodation.

How come it takes 3-4 weeks in the US, 4-5 weeks in SA, and 8-12 weeks in OZ?

Do you have to go through different amount of material? Can you manage to "squize" an OZ PPL into 3-4 weeks?

Also, do you need anything more than a tourist visa to take your PPL in OZ or SA?

Thanks,
Constanse

redsnail
12th May 2007, 21:17
From CASA's (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/learntofly.htm) web site.

I dare say they're including the theory full time as well. This can slow up proceedings.

Accom is comparatively cheap relative to the UK.

When I did my PPL years ago in Oz. I wasn't full time but I wasn't part time really. No way could the whole thing have been done in 3-4 weeks. There's just too much material to cover.
When CASA talks about the PPL, they're talking about the GFPT and the Nav ex's too.

Whirlygig
12th May 2007, 22:35
I did my PPL full time in 7 weeks; perhaps the Antipodeans are just being realistic! There may be weather issues, aircraft serviceability/availability issues; all sorts!

I also did some hour building from Durban and can't rate them highly enough!

Cheers

Whirls

FougaMagister
12th May 2007, 23:31
A few years ago, going to JNB for CPL, my passport was stamped on arrival with a visa, plus a temporary (3 month) residence permit - no questions asked! :ok:

I have no experience of Oz flight training, but flying in SA was great. 3 weeks for PPL in the US is feasible, provided you have read the manuals (and preferably passed the ground exams) first, that you fly twice a day for three weeks with no weather/serviceability/training/LST/partial issues. You would be working your socks off: over 2 flight hours (so probably two flights) a day every day for 3 weeks. Not sure you would enjoy such a pace (My PPL in Florida took five weeks - at least I got some time off). 3 months for PPL in Oz does seem long, but maybe that means they make sure you have it all covered.

Charlie Foxtrot India
13th May 2007, 14:38
The quickest we have got someone through to PPL in Australia is 3 weeks. This can be done if the security checks (allow about 4 weeks to process these) and the theory study are done before arrival (text books can be sent in advance)

Realistically though it is worth allowing more time, I would recommend at least five weeks to cover the course and have time to rest and consolidate, which will improve the quality of the training and the whole experience. Also make sure you don't come in the rainy time of year - which depends on which bit of Aus you go to.

I would be wary of anyone who gives "Guarantees" of completeing the course in any less time than this anywhere!

Constanse
13th May 2007, 14:44
Thanks CFI,

When exactly is the rainy season in Australia?

Is it the same in NZ?

Is it difficult/expesive to get the schools to pre-send the books to the UK?

Constanse

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th May 2007, 03:25
In this part of Aus (South West) the most rainy weather is between June and September.
No sure about NZ climate, try Wikipedia?
The books can be sent by normal mail, no problem. PM me if you would like more info.

Mikehotel152
15th May 2007, 08:33
Sounds like it is possible, but is it desireable to do the most important part of your flying training in such a short space of time? Having said that, it is very very very very very very frustrating doing a PPL in the UK starting in February and not being finished in mid May because of the weather! :ugh:

overclock25
15th May 2007, 11:55
I have a question....I'll go in August in Argentina and I want to do PPL + Hour building...After, what can I do to convert an Argentinian ICAO PPL to JAA-PPL? Is it possible? Expensive?

Thank you!!!!!

Matteo