PDA

View Full Version : Boeing slide raft ELT's?

EKHQ
10th May 2007, 21:48
Could someone please confirm how many ELT's are on a Boeing?
is there a portable ELT on the slide raft?

vapilot2004
11th May 2007, 02:28
On most aircraft, there are at least two - one is fixed and one portable unit is in the cabin. If you are equipped for overwater operation, then there will also be slide/rafts aboard that may have additional water-activated ELTs.

Newer survival type ELTs are dual units which do not require water for the internal batteries and can be activated on land.

Mr @ Spotty M
11th May 2007, 05:01
You do not need to have a fixed ELT, pax aircraft built from a certain date do however.:ok:

ericferret
11th May 2007, 10:20
I have seen around 20 UK 737. They all seem to have a fixed ELT none had an ELT on the slide rafts.

Some had a portable in the aft galley, but this seemed to be an operator option from a previous operator.

Interestingly when cabin crew were asked, it drew only blank looks. So I assume that it wasn't a standard fit for their fleet or the operator was waiting for the full mod programm to be completed before training up the crews..

LeadSled
12th May 2007, 02:23
Folks,

The requirements (and variations from ICAO) vary from authority to authority and operator to operator.

One thing is common, fixed ELT are a waste of time and money, from airline aircraft through to light aircraft, the failure rate of a fixed ELT is in the order of 95% in real crash sequences --- Source, US CAP, Australian research, including a DOTARS/CASA Post Implementation Review of regulatory changes in 1996, eliminating the mandatory carriage of fixed ELT.

The original push for fixed ELT was US political, the loss of a well known Washington politician in Alaska, a knee-jerk reaction that has cost US aircraft owners large bundles of $$$, for no demonstrable benefit, and flowed into ICAO SARPS. An Australian CASA attempt to mandate fixed ELT in 1995, was defeated politically, on the basis of the documented record of 95% "real world" failure rate.

In my experience, UK airline aircraft carry considerably less survival equipment than Australian or US, this is NOT a criticism. Given the fact that off airport accidents to large aircraft are rarely survivable, survival equipment is rather a waste of weight and money. N-registered aircraft fall somewhere in the middle of VH- and G-. Typically, Australian (larger) airline aircraft would carry two to four portables, in or close to the sliderafts/doors, and nil fixed.

Those of you who have been around long enough will recall the slideraft was an invention of a QANTAS chap called Jack Grant, to get rid of the weight of life rafts, not to mention the expense, initial and maintenance. The net weight saving on an early B747 was something like 2000kg, the difference in the weight of a door slide, and a slideraft was minimal.

Jack's bright idea has save airlines many millions of $$$ over the years. I don't think he ever did as well out of it as he deserved.
Tootle pip!!