PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight improvement

veloo maniam
10th May 2007, 04:26
Hi guardians of the sky..any advice on how to improve eyesight for radar controllers? am 51 this year and using power 200 specs. It's a reading glass.
tq much.

EXATC
10th May 2007, 13:13
Unfortunately the only advice is to give up the radar. I've left ATC behind 9 years ago and my eysight has improved from -4.50 to -3.75 diopter. Definitely as a result of radar. My optomotrist is surprised everytime I see him.

The good news is that the newer displays are much kinder on the eyes which unfortunately means nothing if you're stuck in a dungeon using old equipment. I left just as the newer displays were being installed but now am in the IT world and the PC displays have not affected my eyes whatsoever.

Good luck.

deltaxray
10th May 2007, 17:16
I asked an optometrist if you can improve eyesight and he said the best way is to practice focusing on a pen close to your face and then far away. Do this a few mins a day and it should help in the long run.

EGMC
10th May 2007, 19:50
No idea what kinda equipment you look at and I've only seen a screen [over the shoulder of an ATCO] for less than half an hour.
... But I get problems when it comes to reading PPRuNe too long.lol

-Try 'palming' which involves closing eyes and putting pressure on your eyeballs, over your eyelids for about 30 secs, you should feel the muscles strain after about 10-15 secs, you SEE loadsa strange evolving blobs appear as your cones still have an imprint on them. The most important thing is to keep your eyes 'open' in the sense that you are not tensing shut, but simply resting your eyelids closed. That is, whilst your palms are applying pressure you will still have blinking tendencies and indeed can look around L-R etc.... its a pretty weirdo thing to do, but BOY does it refresh you!

Anyway, after the point at which you feel the muscles strain you see it through for another 10-15 secs [I guess], and may feel the need to take a deep breath. Take one, SLOWLY reduce the pressure and open up.

One word of warning will be that you wont see **** for about 30 seconds after!... so don’t do it when you are plugged in [maybe on your break].

Some ppl recommend 5 mins but I think that’s too much, or maybe I’m just lazy!

A few other things that you CAN do without the worry of seeing all blurry for 30 secs:

-follow your finger at arms length through a a cross to your peripherals, and holding it at the most furthest visible point.

- with that pen example, its important that you realise that the distances are not arbitrary, eyes tend to focus approx 1m in front [varies from person to person], but try to have the close image clser, say the length of the pen, and the distant object directly behind, but slightly to the side of the close thing, and the distant object is probably best placed around your focal limit, ie as far as you can make out number plates/tailnumbers!

By continuously wearing glasses, you deny the eyes the chance for self-improvement! (ppl find myopia decreases after vacations...go figure!)

Vitamins:

A [dairy, codliver oil, carrot, date, tomato, green leaf, cabbage...]
B [dairy, eggs, bran, apples, oranges, banana, grapes, peas, carrot, cucumber, pulses, nuts, cabbage...]
C [sweet-sour fruits, guava, tomato, apple, and YES-cabbage!]
D [dairy, eggs, codliver oil, and Mr. Sunshine!]

look into magnetotherapy too, I’ve probably waffled too much!

EGMC

timelapse
10th May 2007, 22:59
Warning ^^^

There should be no eyeball pressure when palming:

http://www.seeing.org/intro/techniqs/palming.htm
http://www.causeof.org/bates_palming.htm
http://www.indiangyan.com/books/healthbooks/better_eyesight/palming.shtml
http://www.i-see.org/archive/palming

EGMC
10th May 2007, 23:55
Yep, I'm probably not doing 'palming' then ay, I must admit I've never actually tried what has been described as the Bates' technique, nor have i just done it in the relaxation mindset.

I dont know what I'm doing, but I definately feel a lot of relief and a whole lot fresher when i have done it, and as it only takes 30 seconds as opposed to 30 minutes I'll keep doing it.

I was ignorant to doing palming the proper way, but i think I will give it a try at some point this week as it really IS quite different to what I am doing.

veloo maniam
16th May 2007, 02:56
Hi guys..tq so much for all the advise. Over here in Malaysia we r using the BARCO 2000 Monitors supplied by the Italians.:ok:

throw a dyce
16th May 2007, 07:59
Maniam,
We used the first generation of colour screens(Barco),and they didn't do my eyesight any good at all.I used to complain that whatever the text setting,it was always blurred.I got my eyes tested and was slightly short sighted,and needed glasses for the medical.This only happened after these screens were installed.
I then had a break from radar for 3 years,and by the time I returned to it,the screens had changed to the second generation.Much higher defintion and my eyes are much better.I no longer need glasses for the medical,although this could be age.Going from short to long sighted.
Didn't like those first generation screens at all.