PDA

View Full Version : Mayday/Pan Callsign prefix

212man
10th May 2007, 00:22
By coincidence, I have just been looking at the new CAP 413 supplement (complete with audio examples!) and viewing the various videos of the Thompson 757 birdstrike at Manchester (On the R&N forum) with the ATC recordings.

When I read the supplement I was surprised that it did not advocate using the Mayday prefix to the callsign, after declaring the emergency: I thought that was the standard practice. Evidently, the Thompson crew do too!

What's the correct answer?

Cheers.

Defruiter
10th May 2007, 09:34
This was discussed here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265714&highlight=prefix

windriver
10th May 2007, 10:31
Evidently, the Thompson crew do too!

And me!

(In my view) In many respects the Thompson clip demonstrated how it should be done from both an Aircraft and ATC perspective... Fluent & standard phraseology ... respect.

I too have been looking at the CAP 413 revisions and supplement and have the impression that as a guide it's coming of age as it were.

One of the "problems" with R/T is that it's sometimes not so easy to change the way you communicate... as fluent, effective R/T is as much about "rhythm" as the phraseology... and even changes in terminology can affect ones flow as it were....

Trace the changes in the recommended response to "Pass Your Message" for example over the last 10 years...

Professional pilots will catch up with any phraseology revisions as part of the ongoing process and have ample chance to practice (but not the emergency communications too often I hope)

My particular interest in what is at first sight a relatively minor point is in the training of student pilots where the 'rhythm' of messages is such an important part of instilling confidence and fluency... especially in an emergency.

CAP 413 does not include the Mayday prefix for subsequent communications ...so presumably it's not recommended or required, however as the other thread (concludes) and as it appears to be commonly taught perhaps some clarification might be useful...

CAP413 is regularly updated now and openly invites suggestions and comments...

Spitoon
12th May 2007, 19:43
I couldn't help thinking that the new supplement to CAP 413 looked all very pretty but seems totally impractical. It's aimed at pilots but it's not the sort of thing that you can just drop into a flightbag - it's not exactly obvious how you can save it and it seems deliberately hobbled so that you can't use the normal controls in Acrobat. And what is the benefit of the audio clips?

Very pretty - I'd much rather have clear information and rules!!

I Just Drive
12th May 2007, 20:07
When you are in the pressure of a non-normal situation, the last thing you need is something extra to think about like a brand new callsign. (Even if it is just a prefix).

Dreamer320
29th May 2007, 09:40
re: The supplement to CAP 413, i was sent a hard copy by the CAA, and i really hope that the person who designed the publishing/binding was not paid for his work.

Why was it not bound down the left hand side?
To read it as it is, you need to keep flipping it over everytime you go to the next page.
Then i forget which way i was going and start to read the same page twice..

I ended up ripping mine apart in frustration... :ugh: