PDA

View Full Version : Too Poor for PPL, Shall I glide?

DKP1
9th May 2007, 21:38
I am currently anoying the hell out of my wife because of my desire to fly. I would love to get my ppl but with a young family and massive mortgage that is out of the question. Is gliding the answer? Not sure if it will give me the thrill that I have been reading on this forum...... Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Blot Bang Rub!

pulse1
9th May 2007, 21:54
Gliding is a great, and cheap, way to fly. But, IMHO, you need to commit at least one full day a week to it until you are a reasonably competent solo pilot.

If your family are happy for you to do that, go for it. You never know what's round the corner and, if your financial circumstances improve, a 'C' certificate in gliding will open the possibility of a cheaper PPL. You may even find that gliding gives you all you want from flying.

Wycombe
9th May 2007, 21:58
DKP1 - you should be on the Mil Forum using terminology like that :)

xrayalpha
9th May 2007, 22:13
Hi,

I would investigate microlight flying. Usually a lot cheaper just because of landing fees at club sites!

Look at the C42 Ikarus, perhaps buy a share.

Don't know anyone cheaper the swansea sport flying. (They are 50 quid an hour cheaper than I charge!)

Very best.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th May 2007, 22:17
When I looked at gliding it seemed like you'd spend all weekend every weekend hanging around the field ...

... out of which you'd get one ten minute flight every fortnight, if you were lucky.

Far better, if your family is actually happy for you to be absent all weekend every weekend, is to spend all weekend every weekend working overtime until you've saved up enough for the PPL. The advantage of powered flying is that a one hour lesson only takes around three hours, as compared to a ten minute lesson taking four days of your time.

tangovictor
9th May 2007, 22:44
DKP, I decided I didn't wish to, fly IMC or at night so went for the nppl m
rather than ppl, at least 1/2 the cost to train, and once trained 1/2 again to buy or rent. fixed wing 3 axis microlights can out perform a lot of GA machines
give them a look over
tv

Mark1234
10th May 2007, 03:26
Ok, gliding can involve a lot of waiting, however, 4 days for 10 mins is rather an exaggeration.

Go Gliding. It's a great way of flying, considerably cheaper, and a lot of fun. If you want kicks, most gliders are stressed for aeros.

Assuming you're uk based, there's also a route to flying SLMG (self launching motor gliders) on a NPPL (I think), and potentially on to SEP light which at the time looked seemed to be competitive / cheaper than going direct to a PPL.

My advice would be:
- Pick your club carefully; the cheaper ones will probably involve more sitting around; a commercially run operation will be a bit more expensive, but will probably provide better value for time.
- Plan on day chunks - you will be expected to assist getting the kit our OR putting it away at least.
-Fly weekdays / evenings if you can - less competition for seat time.

For what it's worth, I fly gliders and light aircraft.

Wouldn't give up the gliding. I find gliding and power flying satisfy very different aspects; there's an immense satisfaction being able to fly off cross country without an engine, and come back 3 hrs later.. the view is better, and doing unpowered aerobatics is definately another dimension. You'll also learn why you were given feet.

Powered flying is very different. Very procedural, very rigid. In comparison to a single seat glider, it feels like driving a bus. But it has turnkey convenience, and the potential to go places on demand, and fly over places you wouldn't go in a glider. I started as it seemed rude not to; being in Aus, I can count all my glider hours and it's cheaper here.

As a glider pilot I've found the flying part of the transition pretty easy. The 3ft stack of bookwork I have to learn to pass the exams less so.

I love both for different reasons, if I had to choose - I don't know.

BroomstickPilot
10th May 2007, 05:41
Hi DKP1,

I suggest you take a look at flexwing flying. I must confess that I haven't done this myself, but from what I have seen it seems to be a very cheap form of flying and to some extent has some of the advantages of both flying and gliding. It's cheap and you can go where you want to go. You can also buy an aeroplane for a few thousand quid.

Broomstick.

Rod1
10th May 2007, 07:53
Another vote for the micro option.

Rod1

Piltdown Man
10th May 2007, 09:21
Go gliding! Gliding should be able to satify most flying requirements. I started gliding after I moved away from the sea and for years never flew anyting else. But to get anying out of it, you must spend a day at the club. Generally most clubs will also put up with the rest of the familiy as well while you are there so you don't have to make your wife a gliding widow and your kids gliding orphans. Get on the GGA's website to get a list of clubs nearest to your area and pay a visit. Speak to more than one person at each visit as you'll probably bump into the club's Klingon on arrival - every club has one or two. Then have a trial lesson or two and I'd suggest an intensive course to get to near to solo standard as soon as possible. Enjoy!

PM

When I did start power, I was nervous about engine failures and was alot happier when doing engine failure practice. I was also horrified to see what a pathetic performance the products build by Messrs. Cessna and Piper had.

172driver
10th May 2007, 09:28
Never been attracted much by gliding although have been up in gliders as pax a number of times. Can see the thrill, but not for me, it's a very different ballgame.

What I WOULD say, however, is explore the Micro route. I've been in some of these machines that can fly loops around the spamcans (C172RG/C182) I normally drive for a fraction of the cost. Only downside is no legal IFR, but I've seen more than one micro with GNS 430 etc, etc..... you get the drift.

Happy flying :ok:

DKP1
10th May 2007, 10:10
Thanks for all of your views, I will give gliding a try, have done it once before but I was half the age I am now! Not thought of microlights, will look into that too.....

blot bang rub!

MIKECR
10th May 2007, 13:09
Good choice DKP1. The gliding experience will also make you a better power pilot(if you decide to pursue it later). You'll have a far better appreciation for the likes of the weather, and your stick and rudder skills will be far superior.

DKP1
10th May 2007, 18:55
I'll admit to being new to the flying scene but I have maintained her majesty's finest for 12 years! Could anyone explain the different routes to flying? PPL NPPL the half PPL thing, gliding and microlighting solo certification..... :confused:

I could trawl the internet etc but why not interact with people???? :O

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Blot Bang Rub

RatherBeFlying
10th May 2007, 21:05
Go visit all the gliding clubs within driving distance. The best bet is a club where several members also have young families.

Me, I suspended gliding when son # 1 was on the way as weekends away from home were not on.

With a young family, you may want to find how the club accommodates young children underfoot and what local opportunities are available to them and your wife. Do be aware that small children must be carefully supervised an any airfield.

Our club has a swing set and sandbox and is considering putting in a swimming pool (there's at least one Canadian club with one).

You can also base a caravan at the club and spend weekends there.

You do want to find a club where students get an opportunity to fly at least twice a day.

Talk to the other students on the field and find out how many flights they are getting in and how many months / years it takes to get to solo -- for license double that time.

Motorgliders are useful for teaching landings as a student can get in half a dozen or more in an hour's time.

tangovictor
10th May 2007, 21:51
I went through a similar exploration , last year before deciding which way to go !
the questions you have to ask yourself are
1 do you ever want to continue onto commercial ?
2 do you want to fly at night or instruments ?
if you wish to do either of the above go full PPL
if you don't, the NPPL is cheaper and easier
there are " versions of the nppl " also, which takes an age to explain
pm me if you want further info
tv

airborne_artist
11th May 2007, 08:20
DKP - if you've former service, why not try to join the Air Training Corps as an adult gliding instructor (some of the fleet are in fact motor gliders). No need for any previous experience, I understand.

http://raf.broadsystem.com/RAFATCRegistration.aspx

DKP1
11th May 2007, 14:57
I am in the fortunate position of being in the Royal Air Force at the moment and as such am unable to volunteer my services to the ATC, thanks for the idea though. Within the RAF we do have both flying and gliding clubs with considerably lower running costs and cheaper flying so I am going to go for the gliding option with a view to powered flying in the future. I just need to organise a nice hobby for the rest of the family to do whilst I'm out!!!

Thanks for all the ideas and opinions

Blot Bang Rub!!

OpenCirrus619
11th May 2007, 15:14
I just need to organise a nice hobby for the rest of the family to do whilst I'm out!!!

Why not take them along. Many gliding clubs are most definitely "family friendly".

OC619

airborne_artist
14th May 2007, 08:47
DKP - I see you are commissioned in the RAF, but I can't work out why that prevents you from involvement with the ATC? Some AEF pilots are still serving, while others who have retired from the Services with a QSP rating or better have a VR(T) commission AFAIK.

My guess is that you could very easily be taken on by a VGS in your current position. Try asking HQ ATC.

Don't forget the much cheaper (about 45% cheaper at Benson) flying at RAF flying clubs, which once joined, you should be able to continue with on leaving the RAF.

DKP1
15th May 2007, 09:20
AA, I will get in touch with HQ Air cadets, it's only 20 mins away! The emphisis does seem on Civillian gliding instructor with a view to becoming commisioned. Will have to see what they say!!