PDA

View Full Version : ATC Incapacitation Incident

steamchicken
9th May 2007, 12:20
ABC News (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5271014) reports on a troubling, if true, incident in which US ATC personnel were affected by carbon monoxide, and FAA management seems to have done a remarkably poor job.

Sometimes it felt like I couldn't clearly put together something that I normally would have at any other time. You know what I mean?" air controller John Conklin said.

"I remember just being extremely fatigued ... very tired, very sleepy. It took a lot to stay awake that night," Maldonado (another controller) said.

"Headaches, nausea, dizziness, disorientation, fatigue, inability to focus, not able to concentrate. We had these employees who were in no condition to do this job being directed to continue with this job," said Iacopelli (union president).

"They said, 'no, we're not calling the fire department,'" Conklin said.

"The employees there said, 'Well, we'll call the local fire department and have them come in to test the air. And the operations manager in charge informed them that, 'If you make the call, I will not let them in the gate and I will refuse them entry into the control room,'" Iacopelli said.

Apologies if already pprune'd.

Desk Jockey
9th May 2007, 16:32
I got affected by carbon monoxide in a Trident (All stand please!) Didn't realise what was happening until I got off and suddenly woke up. Gas from the ground power unit was blowing in through the discharge valve. :zzz:

Airbubba
9th May 2007, 17:24
These things happen...

May 9, 2007

Dulles Control Tower Evacuated

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:50 a.m. ET

CHANTILLY, Va. (AP) -- Fumes from a work site forced air traffic controllers to evacuate their tower at Dulles Airport and shift to a backup facility Wednesday.

The fumes were reported about 10 a.m., and firefighters ordered the tower cleared, airport spokesman Robert Yingling said. He said the fumes were coming from a work site at the airport's main terminal.

No flights were affected, he said. The tower was being ventilated, and workers exposed to the fumes were being evaluated.

Laura Brown, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the air traffic controllers were moved to another tower that is normally used to coordinate planes at airport gates.

Both towers have the same capabilities, though the backup tower has fewer work positions, Brown said.

Spitoon
9th May 2007, 18:07
Yup, air pollution/contamination can happen - that's why we have contingency procedures. But if the ABC report is true, the response from management should not!

ayrprox
9th May 2007, 21:29
Bubba,
The big difference between the dulles one and the one eluded to here which happened i believe in new york tracon, was that the controllers were aware that something wasnt right, told their managers who then refused to do anything about it and told them to carry on working. Some controllers felt so drowsy at the the end of their shift they went to hospitals themselves and were found to have carbon monoxide in their blood at less than healthy levels. They were shown no respect from their management who were no doubt receiveing pressure from above them as well, i mean imagine closing new york tracon!!.
The story was posted on here previously somewhere which is where i got my facts from. apologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick