PDA

View Full Version : taildragger on IOW?

vectis lady
9th May 2007, 08:51
hey,

does anyone know if there is anyone on the IOW that can teach a taildragger course? i have searched on the web but cant find anything, if not then where would u recomend over the water that is fairly close?

tks

shortstripper
9th May 2007, 09:26
I have a friend who teaches at Shoreham, but usually heads over to Sandown for tailwheel conversions due to the lower cost of T&G's. He also takes his Tigermoth over to give pleasure flights, so if you wanted to do the conversion in a classic, you could possibly take advantage of that fact. I can give you his mobile number if you'd like to PM me.

SS

ianrog
9th May 2007, 16:37
Unfortunately not.
Last taildragger (cub) got sold some years ago at Sandown and there has been nothing available since.

regards

Ian

ianrog
10th May 2007, 05:12
Having just looked at your question again I see you're after an instructor.
Contact Jim at Bembridge Flight Training (based at Sandown) 01983 408374, Jim and Brian will be able to help you out.

Ian

BroomstickPilot
10th May 2007, 05:33
Hi Vectis Lady,

You can obtain taildragger training at Old Sarum, which is not a million miles from the IOW.

Broomstick.

Genghis the Engineer
10th May 2007, 07:03
Unfortunately not.
Last taildragger (cub) got sold some years ago at Sandown and there has been nothing available since.

regards

Ian

Wasn't Dick Steele threatening to do tailwheel courses on his N3N at one point? What happened to that?

An expensive way of doing it, but damn it'd be fun!

G

ianrog
10th May 2007, 16:23
Dick no longer own's the N3N but it's still here at Sandown doing the occasional pleasure flight. yes, I believe it is available for tailwheel training but no solo hire and as they say if you have to ask how much you cant afford, beautiful aircraft though wish I had the dosh.

Ian

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2007, 08:54
Dick no longer own's the N3N but it's still here at Sandown doing the occasional pleasure flight. yes, I believe it is available for tailwheel training but no solo hire and as they say if you have to ask how much you cant afford, beautiful aircraft though wish I had the dosh.

Ian

It is a lovely aeroplane - I have the pleasure of 4½ hours in it helping Dick gain a public transport CofA for the N3N; a remarkably sluggish, docile aeroplane, but a fantastic excuse to wear a leather flying helmet!

G

will5023
11th May 2007, 09:01
Hi Vectis lady, are you after instruction and have a taildragger or need a school with both ? If you have your own tailwheel plane I may be able to help you. Send me a pm.

Will.

vectis lady
11th May 2007, 09:14
thanks for the replys guys, didnt realise that my club at sandown (bembridge flight training) could train me they just need to borrow a plane to do it, so hopefully i'll get to see how much fun a taildragger is this summer:)

ianrog, ive seen the N3N, i cant afford it so there is no point in me asking, but i will anyway, any idea how much? not for the training just for fun

tks