PDA

View Full Version : Airbourne Aviation Ltd Popham

BroomstickPilot
9th May 2007, 07:27
Hi Guys,

I'm considering flying microlights at Airbourne Aviation at Popham.

I have visited them and the set up looks good.

I should be grateful to hear any opinions on this establishment, good or bad.

Broomstick.

Pitts2112
9th May 2007, 08:48
I don't have much contact with them, though I'm a regular at Popham. And I think there's a very good reason for that - because they're never on the ground long enough to talk to. I've been based there about 18 months and, until someone set me straight about 2 months ago, I thought they had 3 microlights at the school because that's the most I ever saw on the ground at any one time. Turns out they actually have 6!

A school that's that busy must be so for a reason. They seem a very professional and amiable bunch and the airmanship I see them demonstrate in the circuit is second to none. I also understand they have a pretty good social scene just around the school, too, but I can't comment on that directly.

Does that help at all?

Pitts2112

Genghis the Engineer
9th May 2007, 09:36
I was a member at Popham for quite a few years, and have known most of the instructors at Airborne at some level. I've also flown with several pilots who have trained there, since I'm the "checkout pilot" in a microlight syndicate at a nearby airfield.

Without doubt, the place is there to make money - which probably explains why it's actually stayed in business for so long. On the other hand, they appear to be scrupulously honest about what you need to pay, how long you need to train for, and what the aeroplanes are like - which is pretty good.

On the whole, I'd have no reservations about recommending anybody wanting to learn to fly 3-axis microlights goes to Airborne. I think you'd be well taught, at a friendly airfield, in good aeroplanes. Similarly, I think that you could do worse than flying there for the next few years in one of their syndicates whilst you build up confidence and experience.

So, I'd give them a thumbs up.

G

N.B. If you are just after cheap microlight flying in that area, you might do worse than try Chilbolton Flying club a few miles away.

BroomstickPilot
10th May 2007, 05:31
Many thanks Pitts and Gengis.

Your responses have been most helpful.

Best regards,

Broomstick.

rob5189
11th May 2007, 21:58
Hi Broomstick,

My wife and I have been students at Airborne since August (I passed my GST a few weeks ago). I've flown with all of their instructors and without exception, they're absolutely first class. So are the aircraft - they actually have seven of them, soon to be eight (they have another Eurostar on order).

It's certainly a busy school, but availability isn't a problem as long as you're sensible about booking in advance. Neither of us has ever had a lesson canceled due to instructor or aircraft shortage.

I've thoroughly enjoyed learning to fly with Airborne. It's a well managed school and they deliver exactly what they promise: A very high standard of training in nice aircraft and a lot of fun! So it's a big thumbs up from me, too. Hope to see you at Popham sometime soon!

Cheers

Rob

BroomstickPilot
21st May 2007, 07:26
Thanks, Rob5189.

Broomstick.

dynamicflyer
22nd May 2007, 13:17
Hi,

I have been looking at Share flying at a few sites including, Chiltern Park, Old Sarham,Booker and I have visited Airbourne.Costs & whats on offer vairy somewhat.
Airbourne seem very busy,helpfull and have great Aircraft.

Before you buy any share, I would ask the follwing questions ?

1. Do you get an equal full equity share in an aircraft ?
I would want to see a share certificate & aircraft register ?
2. Is 20 owners too many ? some sites restrict shares to 10 only, thus giving greater access & usage.

2.who controls the bookings & do they have online booking on an equal basis ? some schools 'Hog' the aircraft especialy at the weekends.

3. Do the shareholders control & manage the aircraft ? if everyone is an equal owner the group should decide who manages the aircraft.

4. If they offer use on another aircraft if yours is busy, how do they get around the ANO ruling on share ownership, it is illegal to fly an aircraft if you do not own a minimum of 5% of that aircraft if you pay to use it.

5. Do they de-value the shares ? some schools de-value the shares over a period of time. don't forget that you own a part of the aircraft no matter how its valued.
6.What is included in the wet rate ? Is the aircraft fully insured ? some sites do not have full risk insurance & some include this in the wet rate.
7. Is the aircraft hangared or left outside ? Some Aircraft detieorate quite badly if left outside.
8. can you take the aircraft for the whole day or longer ?
Again I have found that some sites only allow shareholders to book the aircraft for just a few hours a day & some allow longer periods.
Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Dynamic flyer

BroomstickPilot
23rd May 2007, 08:00
Thanks Dynamic flyer.

That's most useful.

Broomstick.