PDA

View Full Version : bad weather - lost confidence?

v5cessna
8th May 2007, 18:47
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a lesson I learnt recently and maybe get a word of advice. I am a rather low hour PPL holder and am currently doing my instrument rating. So far I was able to manage quite well in most situations (at least from my point of view).
On the weekend I had an instrument lesson which went well, but it was very windy and gusty. Coming to the airport I already thought that I wouldn't go by myself, but since I would be flying with an instructor I could learn something and push my limits a bit. So far, so good.
When we returned to land after the lesson, the wind was really strong and gusting, mostly crosswind as well, and the approach wasn't easy. On short final we experienced wind shear, one wing dropped when we were about 50 ft above the runway and it was hard to control the plane and quite scary. At that point the instructor took over and initiated the go around. He also told me that he would fly the next approach, which he did and landed not without struggling with the conditions himself.
I guess it was the best decision at that point, and it's probably a non-event for most of you, but it still left a dent in my confidence. I probably should have reacted faster initiating the go around myself and should have been able to control the plane better. After all I have my PPL and it doesn't feel good to have the controls taken away from you. On the other hand, I wouldn't even have taken off on my own. Despite this, I would have liked to fly the second approach and landing to regain my confidence, but it was clear that he wouldn't let me do that and he was most probably right with that.

The problem is that I am now a bit afraid to go on my own. What if something like this happens again and I really can't handle it myself? Or should I just take it as a learning experience and that's it? Anybody out there who experienced something similar and what you would do / have done?

robin
8th May 2007, 18:55
We all have a bad trip from time to time and scare ourselves.

You should put this behind you, and go up again as soon as possible, but in calm and easy conditions at first - just to get your confidence back.

You at least have seen how hard things can get and now know some of your current limits. As you progress you will find that you will be able to cope with conditions you now find difficult.

Gertrude the Wombat
8th May 2007, 18:59
You've said it yourself:

Coming to the airport I already thought that I wouldn't go by myself

I've said to an instructor on occasion "if I was on my own I wouldn't be flying today, but I'm happy to go up with you for the experience of some nasty weather". If the instructor then takes control that's no big deal, I wouldn't have been flying on my own anyway.

It should increase your confidence because you correctly decided, before take-off, that you didn't like the weather. It's getting those decisions wrong that kills people, not getting them right!!

BackPacker
8th May 2007, 20:09
I second what Gertrude said. You're the PIC, and if you're not happy to fly, you don't fly. You tell your instructor and if he's willing to go out anyway, fine. As long as he understands that you find the conditions too challenging.

I did the exact same thing during my PPL. One day we had a nasty, gusting crosswind blowing which was beyond solo limits. Even though, at that point in time I didn't need any dual training, I went up with an instructor to specifically do a bunch of circuits. Good practice.

Droopystop
8th May 2007, 20:19
You never stop learning in aviation and remember that the PPL is a first step. You aren't expected to handle all conditions on issue of the PPL, just to know your limitations. As you do more flying, your limitations will be pushed further back (probably without you being concious of it) - we have all been through it. Enjoy your flying and remember to never stop learning.

bigfoot01
8th May 2007, 20:21
It's tough being a low hours PPL (I know, I am one!) especially this time of year with weather and all. Like you I am doing my IMC. I suggest you get up and it will help you put your mind on something else. I have found this to be quite useful. When you sit there thinking about it, it doesn't make things better, you tense up etc. etc. With the IMC Lesson, you have other things to think about.

Other thing, take another PPL, it's good to talk and you will probably fine similar anxieties - again, I know what you are going through! and most other human pilots who have not forgotten will know that feeling to a lesser or greater extent!

Keep flying!

v5cessna
8th May 2007, 20:29
Thanks guys for all the nice replies! I guess I will take it as a lesson learnt and I know somewhat better where my limits are. I have a lesson booked this weekend, hope the weather will be good and I'll manage to have some nice landings to get my confidence back.

vancouv
9th May 2007, 07:27
I've certainly suffered from exactly what you describe, and I'm sure most PPLs have - although some are better at admitting it than others. I've had a couple of dodgy experiences with weather, and since then I'm very 'weather cautious'. If the wind's quite strong I won't solo, although I have gone with instuctors but I always tell them that these are conditions I won't fly in.

Shortly after getting my PPL I had a solo flight where I had to GA twice due to gusting winds - on the third attempt I was sweating a bit, as we all know you are totally on your own, and I was thinking what if I can't land? But it was OK - not pretty, but perfectly safe.

I used to feel a sense of failure if I didn't fly when others were, but I've now realised it's supposed to be fun - I don't have to fly, and having a dodgy TO and spending the rest of the flight worrying about the landing isn't my idea of fun - I'll save my money for a better day.

Wessex Boy
9th May 2007, 13:14
My last flight was in very gusty conditions and before we went my instructor warned me that both take off and Landing would be challenging due to the turbulence off the trees.
We took off and I followed the method that she used previously in these condition, that is a shallower, faster climb to improve air penetration through the area of known turbulence, then resume normal climb. This worked very well.

After completing my stalling successfully we recovered back to the 'field and the OH join, circuit and approach felt very comfortable and controlled, the ac was trimmed and flew itself, crabbing nicely all the way down to 30'......then just as the turbulence hit I kicked it straight and flared...about 15' too early!!
My instructor took control and landed successfully.

I was disappointed at fluffing the flare and not doing the landing (especially as the family were watching from the clubhouse) but was pleased with the takeoff (best ever despite the conditions and a close encounter with a Canberra) and my circuit and cross-wind approach were spot-on and better than my previous circuit-bashing flight.
I know what I need to do to improve and have a slot booked on Saturday to get it nailed....:)

It happens to us all, no matter how experienced we are, we occasionally hit the edge of that experience. That is the only way your experience and confidence will grow

RatherBeFlying
9th May 2007, 13:53
There's been a number of days when I've turned up at the airport and scrubbed the flight, even after checking the forecasts.

Do develop the habit of checking the forecasts and reports (and NOTAMS) before going to the airport.

You will eventually develop a feel for how the forecasts match up to what you end up flying in.

More importantly -- know what local airports will be better lined up with the wind if the winds at your home field exceed your comfort level.

Go there, have a meal and wait for the evening when the winds drop or get an instructor to fly back with you.

That's what the hour's reserve in the tanks is for;)

3 Point
9th May 2007, 14:54
V5,
Don't wory about having a bad day; this was no a bad day it was a great day because you correctly decided not to fly. discuss the situation with your instructor.
I am an instructor and I realise that taking control from a qualified pilot is bad for his confidence; in that situation I would try to give it back for the final landing but there are two possibilities here. If conditions really were outside your capabilites then he would have damaged your confidence even more by giving it back only to take it off you at 50' again. Worse than that, if the conditions were close to the edge of his capability letting you try again might have got you both into a situation from which he could not rescue you!
The big lesson here is that all pilots have limits, you recognised yours and decided not to fly, he decided to stretch you and simply verified your decision; possibly he also "reminded" himself of his own limits!

Happy landings

3 Point
(ATPL, 7,500 hours and still learning:)

Fuji Abound
9th May 2007, 16:17
Everything said is absolutely correct but perhaps some of it a little predictable viz well done, you have learnt a good lesson, extended your horizons, you made the right decision etc so I wanted to make a slightly different contribution.

I would suggest apply a more quantative method to your flying than many do. In terms of landings there are a few things that determine whether the outcome is successful:

1. The visibility,

2. the wind,

3. the length and condition of the runway,

4. anything unusual about the runway - for example a slope, or a hump, or trees or cliff on the approach.

Each time you land make a mental note of the conditions - compare these with previous landings and assess whether that landing was more or less challenging and why. In that way you will build up a picture of your comfort zone. For example, land with a vis of 3,500 metres. How did that work? were you comfortable with it? At what point would you prefer doing a procedural approach than a visual approach to land (once you have an IR).

In this case you know it was windy. Ask the tower what the spot wind was when you landed and what the mean variation had been and what range of gusts they had recorded in the hour before and after. Chances are if it was windy they will be pretty quite and only too happy to answer your questions. That will give you a better understanding of exactly what the wind was doing and what is beyond the limits of your ability.

As a result you will find yourself returning to base one day and the tower will tell you the viz is 3,5000 metres. You may well have flown in those conditions or close to before but forgotten. However, if you had previously noted a landing in a viz of 3,500 you will immedaitely recognise that it is within your comfort zone - yeah been there, done that, shouldnt expect any problems.