PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Aircraft Crash Categories

fantaman
8th May 2007, 09:51
Morning all,

Does anyone know where I can find a list of civilian aircraft crash categories on the web? I'm trying to build a database for work (RAF airfield) where we are seeing an increase in non-military movements.

Any help would be much appreciated :ok:

Spitoon
8th May 2007, 16:27
Don't know what you mean by crash categories. Can you explain more or how you want to use the classification scheme?

fantaman
9th May 2007, 12:42
Each military aircraft has a crash category. This determines how much crash cover the airfield has to have available for that aircraft to take off or land at the airfield. By crash cover I mean water available, fire fighting vehicles manned, number of firemen etc.

The military uses a number system (cx cat 1, 2, 3 etc) and each aircraft is designated a minimum crash cat. Do civilian aircraft or airports have the same sort of system taking into consideration aircraft size, pax numbers, dangerous cargo etc?

The reason I ask is that the airfield I work at is seeing an increase in civil aircraft using the airfield, mainly biz jets such as the Learjet, King Air, Challenger and we want to make sure we have adequate fire and emergency cover available.

9th May 2007, 14:39
CAP 493 Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1
Aerodrome Rescue and Fire Fighting
Appendix B 2.1

CAP168 Licensing of Aerodromes
Chapter 8 Rescue and Fire Fighting

Sorry can't do the paste thing, but available on either CAA website [publications] or just ordinary Google. CAP 168 will even advise you in which direction to stir your cup of tea.

fantaman
9th May 2007, 16:16
Spot on 055166k :ok: