PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a chance?

Yuros
8th May 2007, 06:37
Hello and thank you for reading.

I am considering making a rather dramatic career change, not to mention spending a LOT of money to become a commercial pilot and follow the only passion that remained true all my life.

After days of research I've read some very encouraging and some very discouraging, and even bitter testimonials on making a living as a pilot that made me have some second thoughts.

I am Canadian, 27 years old.
I have a University degree (Finance).
For the last two years I have been working in the Cayman Islands working an office job that I don't love but that pays rather well.
I have been taking flying lessons on the island, allthough the hours will not be recogized by transport Canada, experience is experience.

My plan is to enroll in a full-time Commercial Pilot programm at Moncton Flight College. From what I know its one of the best schools in Canada. The program is 10 months and upon graduation I will have 240 hours, IFR, Multi-Engine and Night Ratings. After that I was hoping to start a career in aviation.

Realistically, will I have a chance of landing a pilot job fresh out of flight school?

I don't mind paying my dues and working low-wage flying jobs, but at the same time I dont want to find myself living back with my parents and eating Kraft Dinner when I'm 30.

I made a descision to follow my heart and become a pilot rather than play it "safe". But at 27 it is too late? Is the job market and wages really as bad as some people on the forums say?

I have no wife or mortgage and I am willing to move/work anywhere in the world.

Thank you kindly for any advise you may offer.

Insane
8th May 2007, 09:08
Bush flying in Africa is a good option for low timers...Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia etc:ok:

Shenlin
8th May 2007, 10:13
hey there
i dont think its ever really too late , i did not started flying until my later years and things worked out for me .Right now the industry in canada is the best it has been in a long time.If we stick to the 7 year cycle it has always been under i think you have another good 5 to 6 years ,before things start slowing down.i left a very secure job and have never looked back .i am not flying a jet yet , but half of that is by choice due to family resones etc, but i know by chance will come and things will work out . can you take a leave from work ? i was able to take a 3 year leave so if things did not work out i had a way back in , which thank god i never needed .also with your degree i am sure you can find another job if needed. follow your hear on this and you be fine. if you willing to move you find work . good luck whatever decision you make . ahh 3.10 am and i am getting ready to head for work , and YES it will be a beautiful sunrise over the mountains behind CYVR.......