PDA

View Full Version : On Fly-in-Spain's Deposits and Charges

LH2
8th May 2007, 02:17
Hi there -- this is in reply to something I have been queried about a number of times via PM as a former customer of Fly-in-Spain. Hopefully posting it here will make this useful for any other future PPL candidates.

Fly-in-Spain is the name of the company in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain, under which registered facility BM Aviation operates for the purpose of PPL(A) training. I have no other connection to them other than that stated (got my PPL there) and I haven't been in contact with them since the end of my training sometime last year.

Two questions that keep popping up in my inbox are:

a) were you asked for a EUR 1,000 deposit

Yes. I paid about €1000.- as soon as I booked up my course. On my second or third day of training I paid another €2500 or so, cash, of my own accord so I wouldn't need to keep running to the bank every couple days.

b) does the EUR 2,500 excess for damage apply to students as well as those with a PPL who rent their aircraft?

Yes. At the end of my training said deposit was either returned to my debit card in full or never actually cashed in the first place (I can't remember which way it went, but the point is I got all my money back). Of course, I didn't bend any planes. :cool:

Moneywise, I found them to be perfectly OK. Of course, I am familiar with the customs of the land so I'm not worried by the lack of mountains of paperwork, which Britons seem so keen on. Also, in the three countries I have hiring experience on, a positive balance has always been requested by every outlet which let me fly their aeroplanes (except one, of which I have been a long time pre-PPL customer). As for the excess, I believe it helps lower their insurance premiums, thus making the flying more affordable.

As for accomodation, Hans the German should be able to help--I believe he has quite an affordable apartment at the disposal of his customers. Alternatively, I stayed at a place in VRP Echo (can't remember the name of the actual town) for €25 a night or so. That is some 20 minutes drive from the airport, not significantly longer than from some parts of Jerez itself. The rooms were fine, could pickup a free WiFi signal from across the street, and their gazpacho was excellent.

Foodwise, use either the small bar across the road from FTE or try to persuade Hans into getting you an airport ID badge (all that's required is your passport and a letter from Hans) so that you can use the terminal's canteen at much discounted prices.

Hope this helps. Anything else, feel free to ask, preferrably via the open forum.

michaelthewannabe
8th May 2007, 12:20
Nice to hear that, LH2! Thanks. I'm going there on Sunday, for a week of concentrated training towards my PPL which hopefully will include first solo! I'll report back.

thirtysomething
8th May 2007, 12:28
Hi,

I cant say i was too impressed with Fly in Spain when i first contacted them. When asking for an information pack on a complete PPL i was sent a 2 liner email basically saying it costs 8K. Subsequent questions i sent in indicating that i was still interested to book produced even shorter answers.

I decided not to proceed for the moment given the lack of interest in addressing my concerns in email ( with poor english to boot ). I would be curious to know how other found them in terms of integrity / organisation / quality.

It could be they are great pilots and not great at marketing but sadly when deciding where to buy , you do to a point have to judge a book by its cover..

chrisyross
8th May 2007, 12:38
I cant say i was too impressed with Fly in Spain when i first contacted them. When asking for an information pack on a complete PPL i was sent a 2 liner email basically saying it costs 8K. Subsequent questions i sent in indicating that i was still interested to book produced even shorter answers.

Was that 8K Euros or Pounds?

I'm thinking of going here (following on from my post about PPL cost comparisons) but am in the same boat in that the information received by email is sketchy and the website can be a bit disorganised.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone else thats been to fly-in-spain for PPL training.

thirtysomething
9th May 2007, 13:27
Hi,

Just to update I reached Hans by phone and found him a very pleasant and informative person to deal with. He was more than happy to discuss my questions and answer clearly and I felt a lot more positive about going down to see them.

thirtysomething
11th May 2007, 17:26
Hi LH2 ( and others ),

LH2 your mailbox is full so forgive me posting this here .

I am now going to go see them with some time to get started my PPL booked :) I wondered if you had any accomodation reccomendations . I dont have my own transport and need internet access in it . Do you have any suggestions , its a long shot but i cant find many people around here who have been there. Otherwise i will run with a hotel in Jerez itself. Thanks in advance for any replies or pms.

badboy raggamuffin
11th May 2007, 17:43
blimey, with all these people looking to come down to fly in spain Hans must be rubbing his hands with glee and planning his next holiday to the Carribbean.
Did my PPL, there, good people, very laid back and friendly, fairly high standard of training resulting from Brian Mellors substantial experience, lack of organisation got a bit frustrating at times but overall id recommend them. Any one want to know any more please feel free to PM me.

Ps, make sure u get a brittish instructor, as the German ones dont speak english sufficiently well to instruct at a decent level.(well when I was there at least, not sure who theyve got on the books at present.)

michaelthewannabe
12th May 2007, 16:32
I wondered if you had any accomodation reccomendations . I dont have my own transport and need internet access in it . Do you have any suggestions , its a long shot but i cant find many people around here who have been there. Otherwise i will run with a hotel in Jerez itself. Thanks in advance for any replies or pms.

Ask Hans - he's bound to have a suitable recommendation. Also, are you not able to hire a car to get between Jerez and the airport? I've rented one for £75 for the week.

thirtysomething
13th May 2007, 12:37
Hi,

My driving ticket is too recent for hire companies. I did ask Hans on email but he mentioned getting 50 emails a day being the reason he didnt respond to mine requesting such info.

michaelthewannabe
15th May 2007, 10:15
My driving ticket is too recent for hire companies. In that case, get a cab between Jerez and the airport. I spoke to a student yesterday who had been doing that: it was nearly as expensive as car rental but it's effective.

My thoughts on Fly-in-Spain:

http://mp-technical.com/ftd/?cat=3

cheers,
mtw

michaelthewannabe
15th May 2007, 10:18
Ps, make sure u get a brittish instructor, as the German ones dont speak english sufficiently well to instruct at a decent level.

When they're as busy as they are right now, it seems there's not much choice in the matter: all the instructors are German except for Brian, and since he's the CFI and examiner, he doesn't instruct low-hours PPLs very much. My German instructor seems fine, though.

michaelthewannabe
26th May 2007, 22:20
My guide to visiting Fly-in-Spain:

http://mp-technical.com/ftd/?page_id=23

have a great time, all who are thinking of going there!

mtw

michaelthewannabe
26th May 2007, 22:22
blimey, with all these people looking to come down to fly in spain Hans must be rubbing his hands with glee and planning his next holiday to the Carribbean.

possibly, though he seems pretty happy in southern Spain ;o)

but seriously, you're right: he's deluged with customers at the moment.