PDA

View Full Version : TOM 2171 Diversion to Calcutta on 11th/12th April.

Bad Robot
7th May 2007, 23:07
Anyone with info on the real reason this flight diverted to Calcutta en-route Al Ain to Phuket? I heard 2 stories:
The first one was the Airway was closed because of terrorist activity a few days previous due launching missiles into an airway which the Sri Lankan government denies.
The second one was that there was insufficient fuel at Al Ain on refuel stop to reach destination but the crew launched off anyway knowing that they were going to Calcutta, as that was all the uplift available but neglected to tell the passengers until TOD and then they were told it could be either Bangkok or Calcutta. PAX did not know the diversion airport until taxiing in at Calcutta when the sign on the terminal building had the airport name displayed.

PAX were then kept on board aircraft for 7 hours and not allowed into terminal building by Indian authorities. The Bar was opened, a Party ensued and their was dancing and singing in the aisles, smoking in the toilets and a Bitch fight between 2 female Pax in the forward cabin around row 3.

BR.

Thomsonjetbloke
8th May 2007, 17:06
FACT:
Airway closed.
Small scuffle between 2 women just before leaving Calcutta.
Pax were kept onboard during stop at request of Indian Authorities.

FICTION:
Everything else!

Bad Robot
9th May 2007, 17:20
If the Airway was closed, then:
a) Why did Flt Ops not re-route the aircraft and file an alternate flight plan?
b) Why did the captain not pick this up in the NOTAM's during his pre flight briefing and load extra fuel to allow for the re-routing?

BR.

tightcircuit
10th May 2007, 10:16
It is more likely to have been due to the Indian authorities closing the airspace at short notice and outside the times specified by notam. It was for a missile test. This has already been discussed, in a rather inaccurate fashion, with regard to it causing a Garuda flight to turn back to Jakarta:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271912

Planning a tech stop at Calcutta due lack of fuel at Al Ain seems like a most unlikely scenario. There would be several more suitable alternatives. Switching the Middle East stop to Abu Dhabi and positioning the crew (1 hr by taxi) would have been top of the list. Planning a stop at Muscat, Mumbai, Goa (if open), Trivandrum, Colombo or Chennai would all have be preferrable to Calcutta and far close to the standard routes used to Phuket.

I think if airways had been closed due to terrorist activity we would have heard a bit more about it by now.

Smokie
14th May 2007, 10:43
Thomsonjetbloke,

I noticed that this was your first post, smells like management to me.
Calcutta does seem rather odd considering the alternative airfields available en-route. Something definitely not right here.:confused: