PDA

View Full Version : Hiring an instructor to come to me ?? ( PPL )

thirtysomething
7th May 2007, 11:25
Hi,

For a variety of reasons , most prominently of which is running my own business taking a few weeks out to travel abroad ( from Madrid Spain ) to do a PPL isnt really viable. I did look at fly in Spain , but the email response from them was very off putting ( one line answers eventually etc. ) ..

It occured to me that the Spanish school just outside Madrid ( whom i have business and personal ties with ) has a fleet of 152īs and 172s and initial conversations with them tell me they would be happy for me to bring my own instructor to Madrid for me to do my PPL. ( I could possible get 2 / 3 more people to do it with me ) . The main problem is there isnt an instructor here who can do the flying with me who speaks English.

Whilst my view is i accept simplistic , this post is the first point of research. Is it in your view legally possible to fly in / put up accomodation wise and pay a UK instructor to teach me / us here in Madrid. Putting aside cost ( which would be a factor obviously but not the main one ).

Any thoughts from professionals in the know would be appreciated ..is it possible to bark up this tree ?

David

Say again s l o w l y
7th May 2007, 12:07
There should be no legal problem with this. The vast majority of FI's now have JAA licences, so they can teach across europe with no real restrictions. (apart from language of course.)

It would be better to have an FI who had experience of flying in Spain as things are bound to be a bit different from the UK.

There must be some english speaking FI's around Madrid. I know plenty of Spanish FI's in the UK and to a man their English is excellent. (Certainly putting my Spanish to shame!)

scooter boy
8th May 2007, 08:28
Redeye you are correct, the FTO may well be the sticking point.

I had someone come to me to do my PPL(H) - in the UK.
On the license application form there is a space for the name of the FTO, in other words your instructor would need to be associated with an approved FTO for your training/license to be valid. I would make sure of this and have a written assurance of this (and cost) prior to taking someone on.

SB

3 Point
8th May 2007, 08:50
Remember that the requirements for helo training are different; helo training must be carried out at an approved FTO. PPL fixed wing training can be caried out by a "Registered Facility" (RF) which is a less onerous requirement. Many FIs are RFs in their own right and operate freelance, as I do! A few weeks teaching in Spain sounds very attractive, try posting this on the Instructors forum and see what interest you get.

Happy landings

3 Point

thirtysomething
8th May 2007, 14:09
3 point you have a pm. What is " helo " training . I am meeting with the local airport / spanish school tommorrow to advance this but phone conversations have been good.

3 Point
8th May 2007, 14:40
Helo as in Helicopter!

thirtysomething
8th May 2007, 14:49
ok , feel my " noobiness " thanks :O