PDA

View Full Version : Taking a break from beeing a pilot

galleypower
6th May 2007, 14:47
Hi,
I am considering taking a break from flying airplanes and do instead extended travelling. At the moment its just an idea. What bothers me most at the moment is the time after I come back into 'the real world'. At this time I am not sure how long this break would be, but it might be a year or even more.
Is there anyone out there who has made experiences with long term absence from aviation? I am a holder of an ATPL licence and I am aware that my current type rating would expire after a year. The ATPL licence would be valid a few years longer, but I assume its rather difficult to get back into the business after an absence of mor ethan a year. I judge one year as possible, but more than that? I don't know...
I love flying in general but also see its limitations and downsides. Something inside of me says, go and explore the world!
I am in my thirties, no children and probably would tour the world by boat, bicycle, motorbike, trekking. A possible scenario would be to get sponsored while on the move as such an undertaking would probably attract the press..
What do you think about such a move? Simply crazy or ....
Cheers,

Mungo Man
6th May 2007, 14:55
This has always been in the back of my mind - a friend wants me to drive a backup landrover while he motorbikes across Africa... easier said than done.

When I talked to some friends about it we came up with the conclusion that one way of doing it is to fly as a contrator - ie take on short term contracts, assuming you have enough hours on a relevant type. There are lots of contract jobs in Flight International. The pay is good but only because you are frequently out of work. The lenght of the gaps inbetween are surely up to you to control. More than a year though and your type ratings will need renewing...