PDA

View Full Version : Avro Lancastrian

filou
6th May 2007, 11:21
I'm looking for any information available concerning the AVRO Lancastrian - in particular the interior arrangements - seating plans, that kind of thing

There is one photo on www.scienceandsociety.co.uk of the passenger seating which I found through google; I'm really looking for the floor plan - passenger & crew

renfrew
6th May 2007, 15:13
Pictorial history of BOAC and Imperial Airways by Kenneth Munson has"at best,the Lancastrian could carry only 11 seated passengers,but since bunks were needed on the marathon journey in the unpressurised,unsilenced machine this number was reduced to six"
That was on a 63 hour flight to Sydney.

BOAC by Charles Woodley has a description of the passenger cabin.There were settee benches along one side of the cabin,converting into sleeping berths with fold down upper berths above.

stevef
6th May 2007, 18:05
Oddly enough, I was researching this very subject for a writer two years ago (a novel based on the disappearance of BSAA's Star Dust). There were two Lancastrian seating layouts: the sideways-facing seats mentioned by Renfrew and those that faced forwards. I remember there were not many internal photographs of these aircraft: I only managed to find three or four on the web after a convoluted search. Unfortunately I no longer have these on my hard disc.
They're out there somewhere!
Steve.

filou
6th May 2007, 18:35
OK, thank you all for the quick feed back.

Yes, I'm also interested in the disappearance/re-emergence of 'Star Dust'; novel? Not quite, but it is research of a kind.

Brian Abraham
7th May 2007, 01:05
filou, I've amassed a bit of info on the aircraft, mostly off the web (photos, list of registrations) and have yet to find any photos or details of the seating, other than the one in your link. Have a copy of the flight manual and that does not provide any enlightment regarding the seating layout either.

Mike6567
14th May 2007, 20:36
This may be stating the obvious but there is a photo, taken by Don Brown, of the passenger cabin of a Lancastrian in "Both Feet in the Air" by Archie Jackson.

evansb
14th May 2007, 20:58
Try this web site: www.strijdbewijs.nl (http://www.strijdbewijs.nl)

John Farley
14th May 2007, 22:33
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/lancastrian01.jpg

From the site listed above

BEagle
16th May 2007, 20:46
Looks more comfortable than the back of one of HM's C-130s!

But not much!