PDA

View Full Version : ICAO ATPL to JAA

Jaboet
5th May 2007, 06:36
If you are a B737 captain with a South African ATPL, how would you go about converting to a JAA ATPL license with 737 P1 type rating and making sure that all your hours are validated too?

Cpt. Relax
5th May 2007, 11:18
I would contact the local JAA autority.
Example: Try to contact the UK CAA, and they will tell you the procedure.

I suppose you will have to sit all 14 exams.

chlong
5th May 2007, 11:46
not if you contact the any irish airline. seems they will take any license,faa,icao. jsut go to the irish aviation authority give them some money and hey presto.:ugh:

GgW
5th May 2007, 21:18
Jaboet

If it is a UK issued JAA Aptl that you are after, you will have to sit all 14 subjects, and do a '' IR skills test ''. From what I was told , you need to do your ir renewal in a sim, and it must be done by a UK CAA DE.

GGW

dream747
6th May 2007, 02:15
Apologies to hijeck the thread but I've got a question regarding the JAA ATPLs. I see that the pre-requisite to sit for the UK CAA ATPLs are just an ICAO PPL. If one gets an ICAO CPL and sits for the UK ATPLs, what kind of licence would it give you?:confused:

Benny71
6th May 2007, 08:17
It gives you a UK CPL with ATPL theory credits once you attain the required number of hours. 1500 of them I think.

You can just do the CPL if you want, but if down the line you decide that you want an ATPL there is no credit for having already done the CPL exams. You will need to sit all 14 ATPL exams (expensive!), although I think there is credit for amount of groundschool you will need to complete.

dream747
6th May 2007, 09:13
So for example I get an Aussie or NZ CPL and then sit for the UK ATPLs and assuming I do pass them, what is the licence I would get? I'm sure it won't give the UK CPL with ATPL credits? If not wouldn't everyone be doing it this way to save some money?

Just wondering because I found out all it takes to sit for the UK ATPLs is just a ICAO licence (need not be JAA).

thanks.

Jaboet
6th May 2007, 14:06
Ok well exams and a sim check won't be a problem :) But can I study at home part time or do I have to attend a ground school for a any amount of time? I'm also told that my initial medical will have to be done at Gatwick?

GgW
6th May 2007, 18:07
Jaboet

If say that you have a SA ATP and fly the 737, then you can just buy the set of manuals study them ( e-bay ) , come over to the UK and sit them. Because of your experience you will not have to be enrolled to a groundshool course and do the 4 weeks of class room study on a distance learning course.
Sorry but I cannot answer your question about the medical, e-mail the UK caa directly and they will tell you.
GGW

Jaboet
7th May 2007, 05:05
Thanks for the info Ggw exactly what I needed to hear :ok: