PDA

View Full Version : Bognor Regis (Lec Refrigeration) Airfield

REF
4th May 2007, 21:16
I was passing Bognor Regis at the weekend and thought I see what was left of this airstrip. Suprisingly the runway is in very good condition still otherwise there is not much left.

Photos can be found here (http://www.airfields.fotopic.net/c1271289.html)

I have a few questions if anyone can help,

When did it open & close?
Was there an IATA code allocated?
What are the red discs that run along each side of the runway?
Are there any websites or other sources of information available on the airstrip?

Thanks,

Richard

Talkdownman
4th May 2007, 22:55
Dunno about IATA but ICAO was EGKC.
LEC 1 used to operate from there early '80s. Type BN2 ?
Did John Townend ex-BN Bembridge fly it?
Also a Pitts was based there, ISTR a serious accident.

treadigraph
4th May 2007, 23:03
Talkdownman, serious accident might have been David Purley (sp?) racing driver who crashed off Bognor/Littlehamton in a Pitts. Or am I confused with another pilot/driver who crashed off Nice also in a Pitts. Both happened a decade back or more...

chevvron
5th May 2007, 07:36
Being built next to a river, it was notified as in danger of flooding until the hard runway was put down (about '78?)

Mr_Grubby
5th May 2007, 09:41
According to my Log Book, I flew Pa 28 G-ATOO into Bognor Regis on 10/5/72 from Blackbushe
It was a grass airfield then.

Lec operated an Aztec from there and I seem to think the pilot was called Dave Marris ?

There was a big gas holder at one end of the strip which made arrival/departure interesting.

Clint.

henry crun
5th May 2007, 10:17
Is that thing still there Mr_Grubby ?

I nearly hit it one dark and stormy night sneaking back into Tangmere under a very low cloud base, gave me a hellava fright. :eek:

surely not
5th May 2007, 10:23
Lec also used to operate a MS Paris exec jet in the mid 80's and if the weather was a tad claggy it would divert up to LGW which is how I know about it. I think noise abatement regs probably put paid to operation of the Paris as it wasn't quiet on the outside, no idea if it was quiet inside.

rightbank
5th May 2007, 10:33
Treadders
It was indeed David Purley. He was the driver who won the George Medal in 1973 whilst attempting to rescue fellow driver Roger Williamson from a burning F1 car at, I think, the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

In 1977 he had a massive accident in practice for the British G.P. at Silverstone when he survived the most g-force ever recorded by a human being, almost 180g.

Sadly died in an accident flying a Pitts in 1985.

Shackman
5th May 2007, 11:26
Somewhere in my loft I have a copy of a photo of a Spitfire in USAAF/Invasion markings entitled 'Bognor, waiting to go!' (courtesy of a project I did at IWM many years ago).

Further information on the ALG can be found here (http://www.bognor-local-history.co.uk/article29.html)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
5th May 2007, 20:34
Tredigraph, you're correct on both counts. David Purley was killed when his Pitts crashed into the sea off the coast, and another pilot was killed off the coast in France, also in a UK registered Pitts and I'm sure he was also a racing driver.... Mike somebody or other..

Landed at Bognor back in 1988 in a Super Cub, was a lovely strip then and when i saw it a few weeks ago, still looks useable..

windriver
5th May 2007, 21:16
Just looking at VE View of Bognor Regis (http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/BognorRegis.html)

Interesting to compare the quite old Sat View with the more recent Hi Res GetMapping panels (Birds Eye View 20m resolution)

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/bognor.jpg

BRL
6th May 2007, 18:42
I used to go past that site quite often and would ask people I know who live over there who used it etc.

One local told me it belonged to LEC (obviously) and the owners son used to fly a twin from there until he was killed in it. That is all I got from the local.

Good to see some pictures from there online and I remember the hanger being there too.

smarthawke
6th May 2007, 20:42
IIRC, LEC was/is owned/run by the Purley family and after David (the son) was sadly killed in his Pitts the runway has been out of action.

Sir George Cayley
7th May 2007, 14:40
..well two actually.

The first involves an egg whisk, wet cellary and Danni Minogue:eek: but enough of that...

The second involves the obligatory Lotto win and the thought that building a rather nice (eco-friendly) house and hangar on the site at Bognor of the old now demolished buildings would be just fantastic.

I can understand the Purley families sensitivities but such a rare thing as a useable private strip on the sarf coast is quite something.

Better still for the dream, a number of houses around the strip so all us prunners could indulge our passions together. (Sorry 411A Brits only:= )

Aaahh! Now, what to stock the hangar with........:hmm:

Wake me up for tea time someone.

Sir George Cayley

Redredrobin
22nd Nov 2012, 17:52
From the website of the landowner, Sime Darby, - Public Consultation - The Former LEC Site (http://www.simedarby.co.uk/airfieldsite.asp) - re disposal of the Bognor Airfield land:

The Airfield (Airfield Park)

The Airfield is approximately 44 acres in size and was acquired by Lec Refrigeration and the grass runway opened after the war in the 1940's. The airfield was vastly improved in 1984 with the creation of a hard tarmac surface with runway lights by Charles Purley and his son, David. There was a hanger built at the same time but this was subsequently damaged by a fire in 2001 and taken down.
The existing Local Plan shows a section of the proposed North-South Relief Road located on the Airfield, see below. This road is part of the overall strategy for Bognor Regis providing a link between the north of the town and Felpham to the south.
Arun District Council (ADC) have now produced their draft Local Plan (more information can be found on their website: www.arun.gov.uk (http://www.arun.gov.uk)) and the Airfield has been included as one of the Strategic Employment Land Allocations. The aim is to increase employment opportunities within the town and reduce the high level of out-commuting that is currently happening.

Gene Genie
23rd Nov 2012, 09:17
I grew up in Bognor before joining the mob. I remember seeing the runway (Tarmac by then) from the train between Barnham and Bognor stations. I'd always keep an eye out and did see a Pitts and a small twin operating. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the runway is there at least.

The old derelict LEC factory has been demolished and is now a superstore. David's accident was the summer I joined up. IIRC he was practising over the sea off Bognor, very sad but his short life was certainly boys own stuff! He was a bit of a local hero.

GG

JW411
23rd Nov 2012, 16:10
I have it in my mind that when I was flying Argosys from Thorney Island in the 1960s, LEC were flying a DH Dove out of Bognor Regis?

chevvron
23rd Nov 2012, 16:57
It was only grass then but you could be right.

BEagle
23rd Nov 2012, 17:29
The old derelict LEC factory has been demolished and is now a superstore.

My trusty LEC fridge freezer celebrated its 30th birthday a couple of years ago! One new thermostat and a replacement compressor about 15 years ago....but the freezer seal is now knackered, so the old beast might have to be pensioned off soon...:uhoh:

Nevertheless, Bognor aerodrome was obviously a good location!

Newforest2
23rd Nov 2012, 17:35
I have it in my mind that when I was flying Argosys from Thorney Island in the 1960s, LEC were flying a DH Dove out of Bognor Regis?

That would be Dove G-ALEC. (which was written off 6/5/59 with four fatalities.)

Fuji Abound
23rd Nov 2012, 19:42
I overfly the runway quite often. It still looks in remarkably good condition; I have been tempted to have a close look but never got around to it. I often have reason to be really close to the strip and been temped to see if a landing is possible, but also never got around to that either. I dont recall there being any painted "X's".

Of course the railway line seems to separate the strip from the industrial estate. I have always assumed there must be a crossing to the old Lec building.

If anyone happens to have any contact details and it is appropriate I would certainly be very happy to land there assuming the strip is still serviceable of course.

Poltergeist
2nd Dec 2012, 22:46
Fuji, I walk my dog on the strip. The rwy needs a good sweep to clear the debris but the underlying surface is good. The start of the infrastructure work for the relief road has started to the north but the strip is still complete. fences run close to the rwy edges in parts with trespass notices. The lighting fittings and the unusual marker discs that were on them have now long gone although broken casings can still be found. The windsock pole to the north is still there with the ring but the cloth perished years ago. Access across the rail is by two private crossings and it seems that the vehicle one is no longer available. They tried to get enterprise zone status but were turned down. The retention of the airfield was not part of the plan. Makes you wonder if they had, whether the result would have been different considering the success of Lee on Solent.
interestingly, this is not the site of RAF Bognor, a RLG, which was to the South West.
Sime Darby as mentioned above, control the land now and there details are available on the net

Speedbird48
3rd Dec 2012, 00:46
I am probably showing my age, but LEC started with a Dark Blue Avro Anson 19. I came across them when a lady pilot on the way home from a sales demostration tour of Africa hit a marker on the ramp in Gibraltar and punched a hole in the "wooden" tailplane. The earlier Anson 19's did have wood wings and tail. The RAF ones were metal.
I helped a National Service cabinet maker repair it overnight. We also rebuilt the tailwheel so that it would caster and did an engine inspection. At the time there was an Anson on the Station Flight so we had the parts and no how other than the wood which fortunatly the National Service guy gave us.
Many years later I landed at Bognor to attend a fly-in picnic which I believe was given by the Purley's?? The runway was grass and had a curve in it, I believe.

Speedbird 48.

chevvron
3rd Dec 2012, 10:17
I had a copy of the excellent MAS publication years ago which showed the Bognor ALG not RLG (Advanced Landing Ground not Relief Landing Ground) just north of Pagham. I think there was another ALG just west of Pagham.

gordon field
3rd Dec 2012, 17:18
I flew into Bognor to see LEC on the 28 June 1966 in G-ATLT a Cessna U206A Super Skywagon it certainly was grass, had a curved and none too smooth surface. I think that they had an Aero Commander twin and were interested in buying a single. I thought that they bought a Helio Courier but will check. A very pleasant pilot.

LEC owned and operated the following aircraft from Bognor.
Aero Commander G-ASNJ. 10/66 - 8/68.
Cessna 401 G-AWDM 5/68 - 3/72
Islander G-BLEC 10/83 - 3/93

Perhaps others can complete the list.

gijoe
5th Dec 2012, 19:16
I hope you will be pleased to know that G-ATLT is still going strong with a big hole in side for people to hurl themselves out of in Jersey.

I have flown it loads - and it is a credit to Cessna that it is still going well.

G:ok:

dash6
5th Dec 2012, 22:07
Late 60s LEC aircraft sometimes came to Tangmere,was it Aerocommander or similar? Definitely not Dove.

dash6
5th Dec 2012, 22:08
Ah! Question answered above.

Arclite01
15th Jun 2015, 09:18
Strangely I just found a clip on You Tube showing 'Go With Noakes' where he races at Oulton Park with David Purley.

You get a clip of them taking off from Bognor - in an Aztec and you see the strip (still grass then) and hangar quite well....

Arc

Vans Pilot
15th Jun 2015, 11:22
David sadly died in a Pitts S1s whilst practising off the coast at Bognor on the 2nd July 1985. That's 30 years ago in a couple of weeks time. Would be great to get permission to land there and do an aerobatic sortie at the same location. I did hear a rumour that the site was owned by a foreign investment firm?? Does anyone have the contact details or information of the current owners of the site? With their permission and maybe a sweep it could be done?

rightbank
15th Jun 2015, 13:56
David sadly died in a Pitts S1s whilst practising off the coast at Bognor

This after he survived a massive motor racing accident during practice at the 1977 British Grand Prix surviving a 180g deceleration, then a world record.

Prior to that he was awarded the George Medal for trying to rescue fellow grand prix driver Roger Williamson from a burning car.

TheOddOne
15th Jun 2015, 18:54
I can add Reims Rocket G-AWCN to the list. LEC owned it (I guess from new) from 1968 to 1993, when it moved to Cubair at Redhill. It was there that I did my wobbly prop conversion on it with an excellent lady instructor and from which I gained an enduring respect for the Reims Rocket. I was even interested in buying it until I found that the engine only had a few hours left on it and a new engine and prop were beyond my means.

TOO

xraydice
16th Jun 2015, 05:02
David was a good family friend, my father was management at LEC and I used to go along to some of the practice races and occasionally get taken on a jolly from the strip , David was a real action man always on the go , I still have a flight case ( made in the factory ) of his complete with LEC racing logos he gave to me when I joined up. He even came to my passing out parade, back to topic ,Dad rang mother up one morning to tell her they had has a crash and had to use the golf course...

surely not
18th Jun 2015, 18:33
Does anyone remember the registration of the MS Paris that LEC used to operate?

I saw it at Gatwick on several occasions but cannot remember which reg it was on.

treadigraph
18th Jun 2015, 23:59
Wasn't G-APRU Surely Not, that was Cranfield's - I do recall a US registered Paris popping up one or twice at airshows, N999PJ?

surely not
19th Jun 2015, 21:46
A little searching via Goooogle reveals that it was F-BNRG and this does ring a bell. This was based in England according to its records, so that fits as well.

I was reasonably confident it was a French registered machine, and it is nice that the memory is still working.

Mechta
23rd Jun 2015, 17:31
A few bits of info my Dad, who was born and grew up in Chichester, mentioned about LEC and their runway:

The original grass runway was marked out with the doors of LEC refrigerators
If one of the European salesforce got a positive lead from a customer (presumably a wholesaler), a refrigerator for demonstration would be loaded in their aircraft and flown to the customer the next day. This was often a deal clincher.
A letter from the company to Flight magazine can be seen here: 1956 | 0783 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1956/1956%20-%200783.html)

lotus1
23rd Jun 2015, 17:55
A very polite and always down to the earth person David Purley was a sad way how he was lost a true gentleman

chevvron
24th Jun 2015, 01:58
I spoke to him several times when he called Farnborough Radar.
If I remember rightly, details of the airfield were in Pooleys Guide with the warning (prior to the hard runway) that the airfield was prone to waterlogging.

Sir George Cayley
26th Jun 2015, 22:31
Say good bye to the LEC runway

http://www.simedarby.co.uk/files/Enterprise_Bognor_Regis_brochure_FINAL.PDF

Bognor-bugger.

SGC

cumulusrider
4th Jul 2015, 16:15
recent video of the airfield from about 7 min.
https://youtu.be/uaSa4P4R0bc?t=527

Mickey Kaye
5th Jul 2015, 07:32
Shame to see such a facility unused

Romeo Tango
5th Jul 2015, 11:06
It can't be completely unused, the above youtube video starts from there. Does not look very old.

ETOPS
5th Jul 2015, 13:21
Well the glider is a DG1001 from Parham gliding site which is not far away to the North. They might have got permission to land there (from who I don't know) or just lobbed in as it is disused.......

glider12000
6th Jul 2015, 10:20
This was about 2 weeks ago and I know of the pilot concerned. I will draw this link to his attention and see whether he wishes to comment on the flights concerned.

Julian Hitchcock
12th Jul 2015, 12:12
A couple of pilots have commented on the excellent condition of the airfield, the answer in simple, I've been flying out of LEC Airfield the last 3 years curtesy of SDLL & invested time & money in restoring the airfield back to half its former condition, two hyperlinks below enjoy

http://www.BRGC.co.uk

http://youtu.be/6ByNwI6QSpA

http://youtu.be/rG_cTEQn0p0

Julian Hitchcock

PeregrineW
6th Sep 2016, 19:20
Now this is interesting. I pass the old Lec airfield quite often on the train, but today I noticed that there was some work going on. Apologies for the poor picture (taken in fading light this evening) but if you zoom in you can see that the southern end of the runway appears to have some newly painted piano keys. A quick Google search reveals that the new owner of the airfield site is BR Aviation of Felpham, as yet I haven't been able to find out anything more about them. Perhaps the airfield is going to be brought back into regular use?

HarrierT2
10th Feb 2017, 18:05
Hi all, you may like to know that as of 2016 Bognor Regis airfield is once again listed as active. It is privately owned by Bognor Regis Gliding Club, run by a friend of mine. The airfield is primarily aimed at Motor Glider operators as there are no aerotow or fuelling facilities. We are really pleased that the airfield has been reopened as it means that now the airfield cannot be be built on any time soon which was what had been it's intended fate by a property developer. The runway is in excellent condition and the boundaries have now been clearly defined and marked. There is a windsock on the sight and vehicle transport is accessible via a track across the golf course. More details about the club abnd the airfield can be found here; Bognor Regis Gliding Club ? Gliding Club in Bognor Regis (http://lecairfield.co.uk/)