PDA

View Full Version : Vfr/svfr

ATCO2
4th May 2007, 20:50
Hi all,

I have one more question. What do you do when the VFR approaching CTR Class D airspace and ask for entry clearance? At the moment WX conditions are below SVFR minima but pilot reports that WX is much better and can go as SVFR inside CTR. Do you clear an acft to enter CTR and land as SVFR or you do not give such clearance?

I ask some ATCOs, some of they do it but some not.

I would like to hear from you how you regulate this?

Thanks in advance.

SilentHandover
4th May 2007, 21:16
Are there wx limits for a SVFR flight inbound? I have only found wx limits for dep's.

Spitoon
4th May 2007, 23:39
You're going to have to be more specific about where you are - different States do different things with SVFR. ICAO Doc 4444 says 'When the ground visibility is not less than 1 500 m, special VFR flights may be authorized to: enter a control zone for the purpose of landing, take off and depart from a control zone, cross a control zone or operate locally within a control zone.' but I think many States vary this and have supplementary rules.

chevvron
5th May 2007, 07:20
Visibility now has to be the one from the official observer, not PIREP.

ATCO17
5th May 2007, 15:13
The procedures for operating SVFR in the London CTZ are based on the reported visibilty at Heathrow.

AlanM
5th May 2007, 16:53
NOT all minima are based on LHR.

For instance, you need a minimum IN FLIGHT vis of 1000m to fly on the helilanes. (But when 5000m or less reported we cannot allow visual separation on the routes.)

ATCO17
5th May 2007, 17:14
Alan, you're quite correct. As well as the 2000m required when arriving/departing or crossing Heathrow, which is based on the reported visibilty [I]at [I]Heathrow...Of course the 6km rule determines what separation standards we can apply.

A17