PDA

View Full Version : Are there any ferry pilots out there ?

Pelican
16th Aug 1999, 22:22
Just wondering if there is anyone amongst the PPRuNe database of pilots who ferries piston or small turbine planes around the globe. How did you get started doing this and is there enough work to make a (decent) living ? Are you associated with a particular company or manufacturer or do you work for private individuals ?

Thanks in advance.

Furburger
20th Aug 1999, 15:37
I do the ferry thing, make a very good living, you must convince insurnace company your capable and comply with all FAA regs plus others. Also you can't pick and choose, you must do singles as well as twins etc, I do all types and I also charge twice as much as other so called professional companies. I guess I average $150k per annum USD clear before tax, but there is little or no tax with off shore accounts. Not for the feint hearted, suggest you have 3000 hrs plus and a good sense of humour.
Take care out there

JJflyer
29th Aug 1999, 11:02
Have done it for the last year and a half...
done the singles doing the twins ... moving up the ladder. Have delivered about 30 different types of airplanes from a Piper Archer to DC9.
I make my pick, I choose what I fly. If I don't feel comfortable with the airplane I refuse it ( done that 2 times ).
I have 1000+ hours, I must be one of the youngest and lowest time pilots in this business... but I make my living doing it.
Insurance is a big issue but experience compensates for hours, more oceanic crossings you have less the insurance.
Ferrying is not my primary job anymore I stepped up to the bigger airplanes about 2 months ago... but I will take on jobs , time permitting, to have some fun.
I like them turbines.

Questions: Email me!

JJFlyer

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 30 August 1999).]

aztruck
30th Aug 1999, 06:57
Just about to bring a 421 back for the first time, Cleveland, Goose Nars Reyjavik Wick with any luck. I'll let you know what happens. If I should end up bobbing around then somebody chuck us a duty free from Flthirtysomething. I'm taking a chum who has done the deed before. Probably a good idea if you have the room, but then maybe I'm chicken(old pilots bold pilots etc.)

JJflyer
30th Aug 1999, 11:40
Hope you have a nice flight.
That's your own 421 you are flying ?
I was in Narsarsuaq just a week ago... never seen Greenland so green and warm... Fog should clear up over there around noon to 2pm
if it is to clear.
Might not be a bad idea to make a fuel stop over there if winds are marginal... Reykjavik is one of my favorite stops.

JJFlyer

aztruck
31st Aug 1999, 03:50
Thanks jflyer
yep its a 421 b and its the company plane. just done 60 hours in the states on it with not a glitch in sight. Annual went ok so I figure we should be ok for a decent flight. i've got to stop for gas in narsassuaq...cos I've only got the standard fuel, ergo if the weather sucks from goose...we aint going!
The guy in Wick was great and is sending me the pukka immersion suits and i'm picking up the raft etc in Bangor, i've heard that they are a bit more friendly than portland interms of admin.
By the way, anybody have a clue how they plumb in a ferry tank for a 421b and how big is possible?(just for future reference)
Have fun and fly safe chaps...

JJflyer
31st Aug 1999, 05:53
Have been a helping hand in that plumbing thing... it's a real drag... hahaha.
the 421 is quite cramped to work in, but we got it done in about 4 hours.
Email me, would like to get some work for my friends.

JJ

Oh and BGR ... never again.

aztruck
1st Sep 1999, 02:47
Well I'm off in the morning and my co jo has done a bunk so I'm doing it on my tod(sod's law)
Looks like iqualit and, Nuuk and maybe kulusuk before Iceland. Seems to be the most reliable interms of alternates i.e.they actually exist! If we get the tail wind from hell maybe I can miss out on Kulusuk, I dread to think what 3000 metres of gravel will do to my props....
I'll let you know...

JJflyer
1st Sep 1999, 03:04
Sondre stromfjord or Kangerlussuaq ... BGSF has good WX and is a nice place to stop... Fuel is cheaper then elsewhere in Greenland
If you can avoid stopping I'd go strait to BIRK... If you stop there say hello to Sveinn at the airport FBO ( from the Metro/ King Air fellow )

JJ

P.S. If you need help flying around EU.. Give me a call.. or Email me... I am there.
Can't wait to get back + I have 421 time..hahahah

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 31 August 1999).]

pjdj777
1st Sep 1999, 16:12
Aztruck

See you in Paris on the 9th, good luck with the ferry flight.

PJ

JJflyer
14th Sep 1999, 10:14
Just wondering how Aztruck's flight to Europe went...

JJ

Genghis the Engineer
17th Sep 1999, 15:26
The only time I delivered an aeroplane for somebody else I turned up to find no radio, no paperwork and a Thrush nesting between the rudder pedals.

As the trip was all over land, and the type glides well I did it - but never again. Good luck you chaps, you earn your money.