PDA

View Full Version : Churchill, Manitoba.

pineridge
2nd May 2007, 10:28
Anyone hear of a BA SEA to LHR B777 putting down in Churchill due to a medical emergency?

pineridge
2nd May 2007, 13:30
Yesterday, 0830 Zulu?

PaperTiger
2nd May 2007, 15:16
It appears so:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW52/history/20070501/0445Z/CYYQ/EGLL

TERRIER two
2nd May 2007, 19:33
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/arrdep/public/en_gb

Yes it would appear so.

n5296s
2nd May 2007, 23:14
Would be interesting to know more... an AF flight went in there a while ago with a mechanical problem and ran into problems like there were no stairs high enough. They eventually got the pax off using a freight lift. The normal run of traffic there is twin turboprops - or even singles, like the PC12 that took me there a couple of years ago on a scheduled service.

Great place to visit but not much fun if you weren't expecting it...

Taildragger67
3rd May 2007, 13:12
n5296s,

Oh, I don't know - great place to see the aurora borealis and there's always the polar bears being helicoptered out of town...

Hotel Mode
3rd May 2007, 14:15
It was on the ground for 2 hrs (pretty quick for unplanned div), it was for some unknown pax reason. Suspect either air rage (that'll teach em!) or more likely medical.

Doug E Style
3rd May 2007, 19:21
Some years ago a transatlantic flight (United 767 I think) diverted into Churchill because of a fault and because of the delay involved, many of Churchill's residents put the passengers up in their own homes (there are hotels there, but not many). There's a model of the aeroplane and a little plaque with the story in Churchill library; a thank-you gift from the airline.

AN2 Driver
5th May 2007, 09:27
Swissair took an MD11 once in there on the way to LA due to medical. As there were no stairs, they somehow loaded another set onto a flatbed truck and made it fit. Saved the guy's life by putting down there, taxiing out and departing was described as an "experience".

Can't remember off hand how many times I did plan Churchill as intermediate in my days at that particular desk but it was quite often.

Best regards
AN2 Driver.