PDA

View Full Version : Advise on flying to Antwerpen

coodem
1st May 2007, 20:07
Wondering if any of you can give me some info on a trip Im planning to Antwerpen/Deurne

As I have not got proper maps for belgium yet I have just draughted a rough idea of route
I intend to route EGTR-LAM-MANSTON-COA-EBAW(antwerpen/deurne)

I know its a long way over water, but only intend this route if weather is perfect, and Im flying VFR

Im assuming Antwerpe has customs facility being such a large airport, if so can anyone tell me if they require any notification, if so how much, and where can I send it to?

Can anyone see any problems with my route, I plan VFR and would like to be flying at/above FL50

Will I need a handling agent, if so can anyone suggest one, do they require any notice

Thanking you all in advance

dirkdj
1st May 2007, 20:15
I would fly DVR-KOK-NIK-EBAW.
You will need to be in contact with Ostend Radar 120.60 for crossing their TMA. FL50 should be fine from DVR to KOK. The Brussels TMA over NIK starts at 2500'.

Antwerp is a good no-hassle airport. Flight plan should be sufficient.
Ostend will transfer you to Brussels Info 126.90 after leaving the TMA.

On the Belgocontrol website you can download all relevant airport maps to print out as well as all relevant airport information (AIP online).

bookworm
1st May 2007, 20:18
Im assuming Antwerpe has customs facility being such a large airport, if so can anyone tell me if they require any notification,
No

Will I need a handling agent, if so can anyone suggest one, do they require any notice
No

I've found Antwerp very GA-friendly.
Antwerp's AIP entry (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-69F6D12D417F8F561F7CA38C78990C64/UW2XZDUJH55X2/EN/AIP/AD/EB_AD_2_EBAW_en_2007-04-12.pdf) is available from the EAD (www.ead.eurocontrol.int).

BackPacker
1st May 2007, 21:39
I've never been there but my instructor, when talking about it, warned that the airport is hard to identify from the air, by visual clues only. You're on top of it before you know it. So make sure to use the ANT VOR/DME, or a GPS. And there are specific approaches, apparently. From the west you'd do a KALLO or RUPEL approach.

DVR-KOK is a handy way to cross the Channel. Strangely enough, when I tried to do that at 3500 feet a week or so ago, Ostende cleared me for 3000 feet. Don't know what for. EBFN CTR was active, but only up to 2500 feet, so no problem there.

coodem
2nd May 2007, 07:52
Thanks everyone, I had a feeling it was going to an easy one from what I have read in the past, but thought I would better check, as things change so quickly

buzzc152
2nd May 2007, 08:26
I try and avoid Antwerp if I can in favour of Ostend. Always seems to take an age to get fuel and out/in security, but then I'm just picky.

Flying Belgium is a piece of cake. No problem at all flying in the Brussells TMA at FL50.

If you're in a single and coming from the south east, I'd go Manston - KOK - Antwerp. Easy peasy.

Have fun.

coodem
2nd May 2007, 10:59
I will be OK for fuel, as I have around 8 hour endurance. Ostende will be a bit far for me for this trip, as I need to be close to brussels

bookworm
2nd May 2007, 15:48
Ostende will be a bit far for me for this trip, as I need to be close to brussels

Don't know exactly where you're going but when I used Antwerp for Brussels last year, I spent more time in a car between north Brussels and Antwerp airport than I did in the aeroplane back to Cambridge. Train connections from Antwerp Berchem in Brussels Central are good, however.

sternone
2nd May 2007, 17:53
To avoid traffic fly into Grimbergen, EBGB, just a few minutes drive from the center of Brussels!

bookworm
2nd May 2007, 19:49
Unfortunately last time I checked Grimbergen could not accept flights direct from the UK.

If you're going in to central Brussels, Antwerp is pretty good. Walk or short taxi ride to Berchem and then 35 mins on a train to Central.

BackPacker
2nd May 2007, 22:26
Grimbergen is indeed no Airport of Entry. You can fly to Ostende, clear customs there, then on to Grimbergen but that will probably take more time than the train from Antwerp to Brussels.

Also, Grimbergen has a rather short (about 600 meter, partly grass) strip. You mentioned eight hours endurance. I don't know what plane you're flying but check your landing and take-off distance if you go there. And you need to be comfortable operating a tight and low approach & circuit, as Grimbergen is located in a Special Rules Zone within the Brussels CTR. Get the telephone briefing and put LONDI in a GPS if you have one.

coodem
3rd May 2007, 08:33
Thanks again for the advise. I will be flying a PA28 with a thielert 160 diesel, i would easily be able to land, but the problem will be getting up again with 4 POB, but I will remember that when Im not at MTOW, In theory on full tanks I could get very close to 10 hours

sternone
3rd May 2007, 08:44
Also Grimbergen does not have Diesel fuel at this moment... you're stuck with antwerp or maybe you can go to Charleroi EBCI that is an international airport . They call it Brussels South hahaha, bloody ryanair!!