PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick oddity?

Cornish Jack
1st May 2007, 10:41
Scene setting - as one of the 'leisured class', I have breakfast in bed, most days. We live in a village close enough to Gatwick to observe most dep/arrs (NOT tos/ldgs, if the Wx is OK.) Bedroom windows face towards the airfield and (presumably) one gets used to particular flight patterns. At about 0845, a speck (literally) in the Gatwick area appeared (not unusual) but even at that minute size, it triggered a 'WTF?'. There was something sufficiently odd about it to prompt me out of bed to watch more closely. The speck resolved into a moderately large aircraft heading, apparently, towards MID in a very gentle climb. It then began a gentle turn to starboard and seemed to be level, but MUCH lower than we would normally see around here. It continued turning in level flight and eventually passed a couple of miles to the East, still in the turn. It was a twin, possibly a 76 or similar with a red fin. It eventually disappeared behind the trees (no, not that low!!) and seemed to be heading back to Gatwick.
Soooo ... after that preamble, what WAS happening? At a guess, EFATO, but I would have thought THAT would have already started a thread here. Any info, anyone?
PS, not a dreaded journo, just a sad, ex-longtime aviation person, rather surprised at my 'auto reaction'.:sad:

Shanwick Shanwick
1st May 2007, 23:15
Evening Cornish Jack,

Sounds like one of BMI's A330 operating for VS Nigeria. Probably lost!

Trust you're well.

VS Driver

beerdrinker
2nd May 2007, 04:47
Probably flying a go-around and complying with ATC instructions on heading and altitude.

Taildragger67
2nd May 2007, 08:47
We live in a village close enough to Gatwick to observe most dep/arrs... Bedroom windows face towards the airfield

Let me get this straight - you can lie in bed, drinking your OJ, and watch the ops at EGKK. You've died and gone to spotter heaven. So... whilst the wife traditionally chooses the house, sounds like you got to choose in which room you put the workbench :} . To quote Michael Palin, "you lucky, lucky b@stard" ...

Cornish Jack
2nd May 2007, 12:16
Thank you, Shanwick Shanwick. That sounds ... er .... spot on.!! and yes, very well, thank you - trust all is well with the Horley empire.

beerdrinker - yes - could well have been, especially since it was 8/8ths blue.

Taildragger - no, no, pure happenstance combined with resurrecting a 45 year old romance!! - long story, don't ask!!:ok:

scooter boy
2nd May 2007, 15:27
Maybe he was flying a circuit?
Even the heavies do it from time to time.
Gatwick would seem an expensive place to do training/testing but maybe they needed to,
SB

lobby
2nd May 2007, 15:58
I believe that training is not allowed at EGKK.