PDA

View Full Version : New Tower for Manchester/EGCC ??

Scottie Dog
30th Apr 2007, 20:55
At the back end of last year there was mention, at 'an aviation society' meeting, of Manchester looking to build a new tower. Things then seemed to go quiet and nothing was heard until listening to a conversation in a public house the other evening - where better to hear bits of interesting news and yes, I accept that I am probably breaking CAA rules by broadcasting a conversation that was not intended for my ears? :oh:

Anyway, it appears that the airport authority is considering the building of a new tower - hopefully not like EDI or LHR, not that either are particularly architecturally unattractive, just that are are not the most beautiful either. If rumours be true (and this is a rumour item rather than news) it may be located in the aircraft maintenance area - hopefully with better views of the 06R threshold as the new site would be rather more central then the present facility which dates from 1962 (or did it become operational in 1961?)

As the ex-British Airways hangar has been empty for many a year, apparantly it would almost cost too much in rates to the city council to reinstate it as an operational facility, could it serve as a base to the tower with covered car parking for the tower staff!! :rolleyes:
In passing - and alluding to the thread on 'following the greens at Heathrow'- it has been known for EGCC controllers to offer the same facility in off-peak times when they are able to multi-task, however it has been heard that certain pilots have then decided to follow their own noses onto unlit and rather dark stretches of taxiway when they have forgotten to swtich off their automatic homing devices. :{

Let the thoughts now flow freely - and the pints as well. :ok:

wiccan
30th Apr 2007, 21:37
Scottie, old boy, wrong thread....check pm
bb

peatair
1st May 2007, 08:48
I think it was 1962 when the Tower became operational and it then replaced the earlier RAF tower. It was all quite new when I first went to Manchester in November 1965 to do approach radar training - (Cossor ACR 6 radar and a Marconi 264 in those days - both primary only).

Given the huge extension of Manchester Airport in the early 2000s it probably does need a new Tower which ought to be located on a more secure site away from terminal buildings and offices. Logic would dictate that the most likely site would be found on the west side. However, there is almost certainly no location which would give the controllers 100% visibility of all parts of the airfield.

I don't know how any new tower would be funded but Manchester Airport is not owned now just by Manchester City Council. All the Greater Manchester Metropolitan Boroughs have a stake in it. However, there is little doubt that some are keen to take money out but put little back in!