PDA

View Full Version : good place to fly to?

vectis lady
30th Apr 2007, 15:10
hey, as ive only just moved down here i havnt visited many of the local airfields yet and was wondering of anyone had any recomendations? im flying a PA-28 frm sandown and only looking for places quite close by to start with, prefer somewhere with a decent cafe close by

any thoughts would be great

robin
30th Apr 2007, 15:31
You are spoilt for choice.

Going west, Dunkeswell, Compton Abbas
North, Kemble, Gloucester
South Cherbourg, Deauville etc
East Chichester, Shoreham. White Waltham

All within about a hour's flight

jamestkirk
30th Apr 2007, 15:39
Ref. previous posts ; Remember to pop in for coffee if you come to Shoreham.

Kirstey
30th Apr 2007, 15:45
oh god.. you fly from Shoreham.
Tell me where so I can avoid please?

oh back to the original post.. you can't beat the caff and Sandown - just do a circuit land and have some lunch!!

Lydd is about 1hr 15 in a PA28 - lunch is ok there, especially Sunday Carvery.

jamestkirk
30th Apr 2007, 17:34
I have had my moan, i am alright now.:)

Kirstey
30th Apr 2007, 18:52
lol I know I know.. i'm only teasing!!
If you get to know me over time.. you'll realise I just like to court controversy and argue the toss :o)

BRL
30th Apr 2007, 20:12
...........indeed :D

I will be at Shoreham on Thursday, anyone up for a cup of tea or something or lunch, might be over there at the weekend too.

DX Wombat
30th Apr 2007, 23:15
:( I'm flying on Thursday too BRL but even in the DA40 I think I would have quitea job to get to Shoreham and back in time for the CFI to have the aircraft at 12.30. Think I need Concorde to manage those sort of times and after last Thursday's little episode in the 152 I'm even more wary about flying off to new places on my own.

shortstripper
1st May 2007, 04:11
Nobody's mentioned Popham! The bestest friendliest, probably most interesting ... er ... est :\ airfield in the area surely? :D Cafe with a nice view of the runway that is normally always busy with a variety of different types, so never boring.

It's likely to be very busy over the weekend with all the microlights, and there's an aerojumble there on BH Monday I believe? I may fly up there to have a look on Monday if anybody else is about for a coffee/chat?

SS :ok:

SlipSlider
1st May 2007, 11:18
.. and there's also Old Sarum - an easy run from Sandown up the New Forest class G 'tunnel', and the various magazines frequently have free landings vouchers for OS.

SS ..... I hope to fly to Popham on Monday, see you there?
(Sunday too, but by car .... the microlight fair days are too frantic for me!)

Slip

Fuji Abound
1st May 2007, 11:47
Nope - forget all of those - there is only one place to go that meets your needs .. .. ..

It all happens there, free landing with fuel, parachuting, Tipsey Nipper limbos, always something going on and it is

.. .. .. ?

stickandrudderman
1st May 2007, 11:52
Ooh you little tease!
Do tell!

Fuji Abound
1st May 2007, 12:25
Oh, and I forgot, some of the best organic farm grown lamb I know of .. .. ..

SlipSlider
1st May 2007, 12:59
WR: Bodmin not possible for me, so the gremlins of Bodmin will have to pick on someone else this time!

Slip

shortstripper
1st May 2007, 13:46
I can't fit an organic lamb into my single seater, but I have to admit that Headcorn is an interesting place (too close to the in-laws for me though :eek: )

SS

PML
1st May 2007, 18:44
I think if you can get to kemble it is well worth it, i flew there on saturday and it was brilliant, it looks like they have alot of disused aircraft and a fantastic restaurant.:D :D :D :D

will5023
1st May 2007, 19:35
Goodwood is nice , White Waltham too, your lucky that Sandown is sooooo nice , enjoy landing and going home to my airstrip after an aviator burger :p as the sunsets, mind you in a Vans RV6 nothing is too far away !

Will.

shortstripper
1st May 2007, 20:30
mind you in a Vans RV6 nothing is too far away !

Show off ;)

SS

DX Wombat
1st May 2007, 20:32
Show off Ah! But did he actually build it himself or did he cheat and get someone else to do it for him? :hmm: