PDA

View Full Version : Flying and Horse Riding in the US

bigfoot01
30th Apr 2007, 12:05
Hi there,

With the dolar being in the current state it is in, I was considering going over to the States and doing some flying stuff! I wondered if anybody had any advice on where to go and what to do. Interestingly (?) my wife is into horse riding and I wondered if there was anywhere where I could potter off flying and she could go riding?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

SkyHawk-N
30th Apr 2007, 12:18
Do a search on Google for ranches in Montana, Wyoming or Oregon. I know for a fact that there are a number of these places that do riding holidays with accomodation (my better half looked into this a while back). All you need to do then is find one that's located near to an airport :ok: Interesting areas to fly and ride horses in, just pick a not too hot (density altitude and all that), not too cold time of year to go there.

F900EX
30th Apr 2007, 16:46
One of the best places in the U.S for this exact combination is Boulder, Colorado. Multiple outfits with fantastic trekking in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Amazing flying with at least 5 very good schools renting the latest and greatest. You could get a mountain checkout and experience hot and high performance stuff. Fly to the highest airport in the U.S (Leadville, KLXV) which is a short flight from Boulder. Field elevation just shy of 10,000ft.

Direct flights from LHR to Denver on BA. Boulder is just a 30 minute drive from Denver Airport.

If you need any advice or contacts let me know as I live part of the year here and part in Ireland.

All the best.

walkabout
30th Apr 2007, 19:34
http://www.ridingholidays.com

Try this site, they have various options in N America. I've booked a trip to Montana through them for this August and so far they've been very efficient.

W

scooter boy
1st May 2007, 22:07
Bigfoot,
I spent a year in Kentucky.
Louisville hosts the Kentucky Derby every summer.
Lexington is horse central and there are plenty of aviation options around the place as well including a variety of stste parks with long tarmac runways - very cool - I would recommend it,
SB

n5296s
2nd May 2007, 01:34
All excellent suggestions... if you want to be closer to city type stuff, there is more horsey activity here in the Bay Area than you can shake a riding crop at, and plenty of airports too. The Livermore area has Attitude Aviation at the airport and loads of horse things, and it's only 45 mins from San Francisco and the coast.
n5296s

Humaround
2nd May 2007, 08:14
Yes, Marin County, a short distance north of SF is famous for horses and there are some little airports - I had a nice flight from Petaluma.

bigfoot01
2nd May 2007, 08:35
I have passed all the info so far onto Wifey, further contributions would be most welcome, I will advise you of the outcome.

Thanks,
Bigfoot