PDA

View Full Version : Beware at BRU

Positive Climb
26th Jun 2001, 17:04
Yesterday morning after lining up on 25R, we were given take-off clearance which was subsequently cancelled by ATC to allow a fire-truck to cross the runway about half way down (intersection A5 for those familiar with BRU).
We were then subsequently re-cleared for take-off - as we stood the thrust levers up to stabilise the engines, we both noticed a second vehicle (not a fire vehicle this time) approaching the runway at high speed. As it seemed unlikely he would be able to stop short of the active in time, the thrust levers were closed and the brakes applied.
Sure enough, without even a look along the runway, the vehicle shot straight across and carried on towards the terminal building.

The Tower controller subsequently claimed she was not in radio contact with the vehicle and had certainly not given it crossing clearance.

I appreciate this kind of event can happen at any aiport - but just a reminder for everyone, espcially at BRU, to keep a good lookout (especially either side of the runway) when commencing the take-off roll.

Worringly, our subsequent rotation point on 25R was exactly at A5, the intersection where the vehicle had crossed. If we had started our take-off roll just a few seconds earlier, things would have got mighty more 'interesting'.

safe flying.

------------------
"After V1, we'll take the emergency into the air - You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at between V2 and V2 + 25"

flt_lt_w_mitty
26th Jun 2001, 20:18
Quite right,PC. I've always said that Ground control in BRU is an accident waiting to happen - a bit like MAD...........except it did there!

Yak Hunt
26th Jun 2001, 22:48
It's Belgium!!

Avman
27th Jun 2001, 01:23
As you so often remind people who arrive at hasty ill conceived conclusions of "pilot error" after an air accident, you're all being hypocritical by placing the burden of blame on the Ground Controller. He/She may have been informed at very short notice, or not informed at all (certainly in the case of the second vehicle). There appears to have been a serious communication problem between the emergency services and ATC. That, however, is not necessarily the controller's fault.

It might have been a good idea for Positive Climb to have called the Tower Supervisor upon arrival to ascertain what exactly happened.

Skypumper
27th Jun 2001, 01:31
This must be a laugh.
I never experienced an incident in BRU. But i heard a lot of them on the Island.
I'm impressed about your abort at 3 kts.

411A
27th Jun 2001, 02:26
Beware of BRU?
Well, yes indeed, especially if NW is on final for 25L when.....he actually was aiming for...FRA.

Tom the Tenor
27th Jun 2001, 11:55
What was the event/incident that happened at Madrid mentioned above and when? Thanks, TTT.

TE RANGI
27th Jun 2001, 12:13
Tom,

flt probably refers to an accident that happened in Dec '83 when an Iberia 727 in the take-off roll collided into a taxying Aviaco DC-9 that had intruded the rwy right at the intersection of (then) 01/33 in foggy coditions.

Positive Climb
27th Jun 2001, 12:47
Avman,

couldn't agree more with you - but - having re-read my original post, still do not see any criticism made of any controller at BRU.
Secondly, the infringing vehicle was not a fire vehicle, but was an orange 'delivery' truck - therefore there was certainly no breakdown in communication with the emergency services as you suggest.

regards.

------------------
"After V1, we'll take the emergency into the air - You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at between V2 and V2 + 25"

CashDrive
28th Jun 2001, 13:50
Normally you should know - huh?

Tom the Tenor
28th Jun 2001, 18:02
Thank you for the update, Te Rangi. Since yesterday I have been racking my brains. I recall the collison between the Iberia and the Aviaco all right but am pretty sure it happened somewhere in Galicia, Santiago or Vigo, maybe somewhere else; cannot remember exactly but am all but certain that it was not Madrid. Maybe flt_lt_w_mitty is referring to another incident at Madrid? Kind regards, TTT.

flt_lt_w_mitty
28th Jun 2001, 19:46
Legend has it that it was a ground collision with fire - probably about 6-7 years ago, between a bizjet and ??, I think the bizjet was some celeb's. Fatal as I recall and caused by the familiar poor english command of ground control and the usual instructions in Spanish to Spanish. More than once I've had (and reported) dangerous mixed language ground control there (MAD)... how appropriate!

Sorry I cannot be more factual.

ockham hold
28th Jun 2001, 20:22
Tom,
The accident refered to was occured at 0940 local 7 December 1983 on runway 01 at Madrid. One of the aircraft was going to Rome the other to Santander.