PDA

View Full Version : Pax address

Mungo Man
29th Apr 2007, 20:26
I have searched in vain for topics on flight deck crew passenger address, PAs, pax address etc to no avail. I am sure there must be topics on what to say and what not to say with the usual stories about reading clearances back to the crew and announcing the destination weather and ETA to ATC! Can anyone locate these illusive threads for me?!

Mungo Man
30th Apr 2007, 11:20
Thanks Rainboe, I never thought of searching for 'pax anounce to passangers!:}

and to think people complain about the spelling police... it sure makes searching hard work!

Mungo Man
30th Apr 2007, 19:34
Some interesting stuff there and a lot of crap as you say. I think I've been doing my PAs along the right lines anyway. Worst thing I've heard was after we diverted back to airport of origin, should have been a 1 hr flight but total flight time was 3 hrs . After landing CC said "welcome to xxx(were we had taken off from some 3 hrs earlier)..." I cringed, god knows what the pax thought of being welcomed to a diversion airport...:\ not the most appropiate PA.

BOAC
30th Apr 2007, 20:43
You could always try the apochryphal (?PanAm?) PA, 3 hrs into an 6 hour flight;

"Half-way":)

Or there is the BA wonder (C O) who spoke to the passengers of the 'Gothic Splendour' of Gatwick's North Terminal.:confused:

Earthmover
1st May 2007, 08:36
BOAC, I read this years ago in one of the broadsheets' travel supplements: According to that article, the 'half way' story was from a Southern Air DC9 stuck on the tarmac in the Deep South, un-airconditioned for hours in blistering heat whilst engineers carried out impact maintenance to one of the engines. The flight attendant had only peanuts and passed up and down with them every half hour or so. Not one word from the flight deck. The writer remarked that the passengers were incredibly calm - the only sign of dissent was when one gentleman, on being offered the 'refreshments' for the umpteenth time said, quietly and without looking up, "stick your peanuts lady". Hours later they got airborne, and it was then that the famous "half way" PA was made .. the only words from the front all day!

Good story, but I'll bet it's only one of many variations on the same theme.

TopBunk
1st May 2007, 11:14
Ahh, good old Chris...... I believe that he is a very good salesman and always carries copies of his Concorde book around with him ( I admit to owning a signed copy :uhoh:) , although I was not sold it, as one FO was, whilst occupying the adjacent urinal;):D:oh:

Union Jack
1st May 2007, 11:28
My favourite announcements as a passenger both came on a Piedmont flight from LGW to CLT many years ago - well, it had to be if it was Piedmont! Firstly, the Captain announced in mid Atlantic that "We have now reached the point of no return" and, subsequently that "If those of you who were concerned about my last announcement care to look out of the windows, you will see that we are now safely over North America".

It was December, we were over Labrador, and all that could be seen was an endless panorama of snow-clad mountains and frozen lakes!

Jack

Rocket2
2nd May 2007, 15:16
On finals to Heathrow a couple of years ago the BA Captain announced "Ladies & Gentlemen - for those occupying seats on the right you will shortly have a wonderful view of Windsor Castle" slight pause then "for those on the left you get to see Slough sewer works!" :D