PDA

View Full Version : GLOC

BOAC
29th Apr 2007, 10:11
More and more I see this expression appearing. When did it come into regular useage? Why is it not GILOC?

The older ones amongst us are familiar with black/grey outs+tunnel vision (+the feelings of 'perfect peace' during these events:) ), but this, to me, is a 'newbie'.

henry crun
29th Apr 2007, 10:21
BOAC: I don't know when it came into regular usage, but my first memory of seeing the expression was in connection with one of the F20 Tigershark accidents, which was early 1985 IIRC.

BOAC
29th Apr 2007, 10:41
Oh good! Only 22 years behind now:)

Intruder
29th Apr 2007, 17:28
It came into common usage with the F-16 and its 9 G capability. The airplane turned out to be able to take the Gs better than some of the pilots.

BOAC
29th Apr 2007, 17:57
Nothing new there, then. :cool:

Mind you, I'm greying out now if the co-pilot levels from a descent in a turn at the same time.:)

None
2nd May 2007, 14:28
Concerning the F-16 and G's, wasn't it the F-16's "on-set" rate (vs. the actual g-loading) that was determined to make that jet different?
Most fighters at that time required care to not over-g the jet. The F-16, however, had the computer to protect from an over-g in most scenarios. So, there you are, at the merge, and you yank as hard as you can because you probably are not going to over-g.
There was a tell-tale indication (flight path) when the F-16 pilot was G-Loc'd...which normally lead to a knock-it-off.
Later, the training was so good that G-loc's were a rare event.

hvogt
3rd May 2007, 13:54
Why is it not GILOC?I would think of the pronounciation. Compared to G-LOC G-I-LOC would be a bit awkward.