PDA

View Full Version : Delta at NRT--firetrucks and ambulances

Sleep Deprivation Chamber
29th Apr 2007, 08:34
About 4pm on 4/28, about 8 firetrucks and 4 ambulances were waiting for a landing Delta 777 at NRT. The trucks ambulances followed the Delta down 1/8 of the runway as well as onto the taxiway on the west side of Terminal One. Can't find any news about it on Japanese television. Information anyone?

(edited for date--happened on 4/28 JST)

skyclad
30th Apr 2007, 11:56
Sleep,
I was an SLF on flight 55, a 777 arriving a bit earlier than your time (about 1330 Saturday). I can't imagine why we'd be met by emergency crews. The last 5 or 10 minutes of the final descent were rough. It felt like there were strong gusty winds pushing the plane left and right, in addition to the usual turbulence, as we approached the runway. I was in a seat without a window, so I couldn't see if the emergency crews were there.
We had a minor medical emergency onboard, but I doubt that was a cause. It occurred while we were still over the US and could have easily diverted to any number of major and minor airports if it were critical.

otis cornbread
30th Apr 2007, 12:27
Apparently it was an engine fire. The airport was closed for about an hour while they dumped fuel in preparation for landing. I was flying Taipei to HK and we were delayed for an hour waiting for our aircraft which was stuck on the ground in Narita until the airport opened.

Whinging Tinny
30th Apr 2007, 13:44
Actually, it had a multiple engine surge (I believe on climb out).HP turbine heavily damaged.A/C laid up, awaiting spare engine for change out.

Sleep Deprivation Chamber
30th Apr 2007, 13:58
Could have been. There was only one JAL landing before the Delta; traffic was being held back until the Delta was across from the terminal. The Delta landed a little past 4PM and the runway was operating about 5PM.
Probably was not flight 55 (too early-- I was still trying to keep my puddle jumper from blowing off the highway in Chiba).:eek:

lomapaseo
30th Apr 2007, 14:05
Actually, it had a multiple engine surge (I believe on climb out).HP turbine heavily damaged.A/C laid up, awaiting spare engine for change out.

Would that be multiple surges in a single engine?

or- surges in multiple engines?

Whinging Tinny
30th Apr 2007, 14:17
One engine, multiple surge on rotation and not climb out as previously posted.

Whinging Tinny
30th Apr 2007, 14:22
S.D.C.

Flight was DL 55/56 (Atlanta)