PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight on Approach at BHX ?

AltFlaps
27th Apr 2007, 14:12
Hi All,

Last night on approach to BHX (R33 in use) at approx 2030z and between 0.5 - 1.0 DME, a very bright light caught the corner of my eye (slightly behind and to the left). The source of the light appeared to be slightly left of the extended centre line. Is was a very brief encounter, and the F/O didn't see the light.

After landing, we reported it to the tower, who told us that there had been a similar report the night before. As we taxied in, two further aircraft landed, but they had no problem. We also made the Ops Duty Manager aware (via handling).

I feel reasonably sure that someone was shinning a spotlight into the flightdeck ...

All jokes aside (and I'm sure there will be many), has anyone else experienced this ?

If you have, I suggest that you post the approximate times and dates (and runway in use), and if there are any other occurances, I will forward them to the airport authorities.

Cheers

AltFlaps

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2007, 14:44
Probably some jerk with one of those multi-million candlepower 'torches'.
Still needs to be reported though.

boristhemini
27th Apr 2007, 15:03
Not the first time at BHX and definitely not just BHX. Numerous reports of spotlights and laser pointers at airports globally being directed at aircraft. Worrying to think that these pond scum think lives of hundreds and in high density suburbs, thousands of lives, being put at risk are a jolly good jape and a bit of fun. Lowlives. :*

chevvron
27th Apr 2007, 17:27
ANO Part 13 Section 135 deals with 'Dangerous Lights'; even if it doesn't blind you it's still distracting and therefore 'negligently endangering the safety of an aircraft'(Part 5 Section 73)

cheesycol
27th Apr 2007, 23:08
Was also reported tonight (27th) by the aircraft ahead of us on approach to 33 about 2115z. Didn't notice anything myself though.

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Apr 2007, 00:15
West Yorkshire Police succesfully prosecuted a 19 year old, For shining a 'Laser Pen' at the Forces Helicopter (G YPOL) last year.:*

The Chopper pilot had his sight temporary 'blinded' by the light, And had to bank sharply to avoid it.

This could have had serious consequences.:hmm:

Regards.

Human Factor
28th Apr 2007, 07:50
I hope you MOR'd it if it was a distraction.

Doors to Automatic
28th Apr 2007, 10:54
Did it come from the golf course? Probably local yobs (sorry shouldn't call them that it might offend them!) with a bright torch.

apaddyinuk
28th Apr 2007, 12:10
Probably just more UFO's!!! :ugh:

groundedforgood
28th Apr 2007, 12:37
Could it be a nightclub/pub outdoor revolving laser? Around 7 DME from 15 at BHX one of these contraptions at a nightclub in Walsall regularly illuminates a/c on approach.

the_flying_cop
30th Apr 2007, 09:22
we had one a couple of years ago. some idiot shining a motorcylce headlamp hooked up to a car battery right at us for about 5 minutes. this was also on the final approach path. it was actually bright enough to illuminate the whole interior of the aircraft, and also the source of the light could be seen on the thermal image camera (this is something i have not seen before from a hand lamp).

sadly for him, we directed some colleagues round to his house and he was arrested and prosecuted under the ANO.
not sure if it made the media, but it was MOR'd etc.

edited to insert more details.

GK430
30th Apr 2007, 14:39
Altflaps
Give or take a few metres here and there, there is a Civil Service Club and a rugby club in the area you describe. However, there is also quite an area of open land as you may on the odd occasion note on a daylight app.
Hope somebody brings the culprit to book!