PDA

View Full Version : Microlight qualifications

MUFC_fan
26th Apr 2007, 12:54
Hi,

I was just wondering what qualifications are needed to fly a microlight, as I would see it as a perfect way for me to avoid the traffic and help me get to work?

Cheers.

tangovictor
26th Apr 2007, 16:48
take a look
http://www.bmaa.org/default.asp

MUFC_fan
26th Apr 2007, 16:54
Cheers, had a look through and seen there is a place near where I live that I can learn from.

Thanks alot!

Mark 1
26th Apr 2007, 17:24
Realistically, the idea of commuting to work is not a good reason for learning to fly, though there are other good reasons.

Consider that you need a strip near to home, another one near to work, you can only fly in day/VFR conditions and within the capabilities of you and the aircraft re. the weather, wind etc. Plus you are not allowed to fly over congested areas.

On many days the journey is achievable one way, but the weather will be unsuitable for the return. On many other days it will not be possible at all.

If you are very lucky and flexible with alternative transport then you may consider it an occasional possibility.

Learn to fly first, then appreciate the limitations.

bar shaker
27th Apr 2007, 08:59
I have over 300 hours on microlights.

They are huge fun but they are not a practical mode of commuter transport, due to wind and met limitations.

tonyhalsall
27th Apr 2007, 11:37
This has to be a wind up post Shirley??

sucksqueezeBANGstop
27th Apr 2007, 23:25
Not necessarily. I have loads of mates equipped with the Thruster microlight, capable (as long as the pilot is!) of some extreme cross wind landings etc... who use it to commute to and from work all the time. Not the quickest sky vehicle but very sturdy. As long as it's not tooooo far to go!

:O