PDA

View Full Version : Flying in USA

Sideslipper
25th Apr 2007, 18:56
I will probably be going over to the US on holiday.
I've got a JAA PPL but can't face the M1 hassle for a short stay.
However, I would like to fly with an instructor for an hour or two just for the experience.
Does anybody know whether I would be able to:
1. Even be allowed in the plane!
2. Sit P1 side.
3. Touch the controls.
Any other poo-traps?:sad:

Bri85
25th Apr 2007, 19:06
if you go to any local FBO, and ask for an intro flight or just to go up with an instructor i believe is feasible as long as you have proper i.d.

gcolyer
25th Apr 2007, 19:34
Can't log the time though.

You don't need an M1 anyway.

You need to apply for an FAA PPL based on your foreign (JAA) license.

Steps:

1) Fill an authorisation form for the CAA to release your details to the FAA and pay £38
2) Apply for FAA license based on your JAA license
3) Wait for response
4) Book interview/appointment with the FSDO that you choose. This will be in the states
5) Go to interview, fill in more paperwork, and walk out with a piece of A5 paper saying temporary airmans certificate. Free and valid for 120 days.
6) When you plan to fly in the states go to any flight school and do a BFT
7) Bobs your uncle
8) One day your FAA green credit card style licesne will arrive at your home.
9) Every 2 years do a BFT

StillStanding
25th Apr 2007, 20:06
I've done this loads of times - most recently February in Florida - both as a student and now as a PPL. I have never been asked for ID or money up front. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful. The instructor can act as a guide and handle the radio so you can enjoy the flying. Why not pick a type to fly that you haven't tried before, or one with a glass cockpit?
I often ask if anyone else I'm with wants to fly and then book a 4 seater. I've flown to Sedona for breakfast, around Mount St Helen, from Boston up the coast to Maine, Florida loads of times.
I normally only book a few of days ahead, once I know what weather is likely. Just say you have a license but not FAA so need an instructor.
I've always logged the time as P/UT.

Humaround
26th Apr 2007, 08:46
I took a flight in a Warrior with instructor out of Petaluma CA last Novemeber.

Although I already had my FAA paperwork, I would have needed a checkflight to take an a/c solo and with only one day free to fly, I was happy to have the Instructor along.

More than happy actually, he handled the radio and talked to SF, got us routed over the Golden Gate + 500ft, around the bay, past downtown SF, over Alcatraz AND San Quentin, and back to Petaluma. It was a great flight which Mrs Hum caught on DV from the back seat.
Dick the instructor had his seat so far reclined, he was almost in the back too. And he entered the flight in my logbook P1!

Well worth the modest cost - about $75ph for the Warrior + fuel at about $3.50 per USgal (from memory). Oh, plus $50 ph for Dick.

recommended! :)

slim_slag
26th Apr 2007, 10:23
Sideslipper,

Absoultely no problem whatsoever with what you want to do, just call it an instructional flight, they will be pleased to see you. Where are you going?

Glasgow_Flyer
26th Apr 2007, 16:06
Erm - I have done this a few times and logged the hours (I find most schools are quite happy to do a few hours with youbefore getting worried about breaking any rules) - I've had my log book signed off since.

Was I wrong?!

Tall_guy_in_a_152
26th Apr 2007, 16:34
Was I wrong?!
It depends how you logged it. P1 without an FAA licence would be wrong, because you are not entitled to be in command of an FAA aircraft in the US.

Put should be OK. There was a period post 9/11 when any sort of training was frowned upon without the paperwork, but the flying schools have got this straight now. No problem doing a few hours that isn't specifically training for a licence or rating.

Sideslipper
27th Apr 2007, 16:04
All,
Thanks for the advice.:ok:
Not as much hassle as I was expecting.
Probably will be going to Florida, but not until this time next year.
As my flying has been only low wing (PA28 & Robin), I was thinking about trying a high wing (cheap & cheerful Cessna 152 maybe).

Sideslipper
27th Apr 2007, 16:21
Further to my previous post, can anyone recommend any operators to fly with.
Some of the larger "pilot factories" seem to have had some "iffy" comments made about them in other threads and forums.
Maybe a smaller operator would suit.
Any recommendations on either?

Henry Hallam
27th Apr 2007, 17:19
Whereabouts in the US?
I have had good experiences with Debenair at KTIX and Manassas Aviation Centre at KHEF.

Sideslipper
28th Apr 2007, 10:52
Good question.
Answer - Florida.

Cuillin
28th Apr 2007, 11:44
Cannot speak highly enough about Air Orlando at Orlando-Executive.

http://www.flyairorlando.com/index.htm

C172SP/C182T/DA20/DA40/Pa28R/Cirrus etc
Some are G1000

Superb Flight School
Excellent Pilot Shop
Good aircraft rental rates (add Florida Tax 6.5%? to the website rates)
Excellent ATC
Minimal delays for departure
Sensible checkout and BFR
Online aircraft reservations
Nice people.

Looking forward to going back there again.

FBS
29th Apr 2007, 07:29
" Although I already had my FAA paperwork, I would have needed a checkflight to take an a/c solo and with only one day free to fly, I was happy to have the Instructor along."

You cannot take the aeroplane solo without having first flown a US BFR. Having the paperwork is only the first step and a local checkout does not count. This is something that a few people fall foul of. Often the FBO does not know the full ins and outs of having a person turn up with an FAA piggy-back licence and they don't check. I was at a PFA talk night once when a guy was proudly showing slides of how he had flown all around the Caribbean in a rented aeroplane. Afterwards I asked if he had a BFR and he said no, he didn't need one and got quite shirty with me when I told him afterwards his whole flight had been illegal. What he does like that is, of course, up to him but he was not insured and neither were his passengers so if he had hit the veg he could have been sued senseless/houseless/everythingless. I spoke with a guy at the FAA fairly recently and he said they were aware of the fact a lot of FBOs don't know the rules on this but, as a previous poster said, you get your Temporary Airman's Certificate (incidentally the FAA is not listed in the phone books under "F" but under Department of Transport) you then arrange your Biennial Flight review that should be an hour on the gruond and an hour in the air which may or may not include your local checkout flight to satisfy the FBOs currency and insurance regs.

THEN you can go solo and not before.

Hope that helps,

Blinkz
29th Apr 2007, 10:11
Hey guys,
You all seem to be in the know about FAA regs so have a quick question for you. I have a FAA PPL based on my JAA PPL, so on the FAA licence it says only valid with UK/PP/*******/A. I now have my CPL and so my licence number has changed to CP from the PP. Can I still use my FAA PPL? or do I have to do the revalidation process all over again? Thanks

Cuillin
29th Apr 2007, 10:53
Revalidation process all over again.

I, originally, had a Foreign Licence FAA certificate issued in 1991 on the basis of my UK ATPL. I, subsequently, changed to a JAA(UK) ATPL some years later and had to go through the full verification process again. One letter/number change means a reverification.

It is all quite straightforward as long as you give yourself about two months to do everything before you actually need it. The only people you part money to is the UK CAA (needless to say).

I will have to go through the verification process again if I wish to add any ratings to it, such as a Seaplane Rating.

If you don't complete what you intended in 6 months (eg. Seaplane Rating/ get the Foreign Pilot FAA licence issued) then you will have to go through the whole process again.