PDA

View Full Version : type of approach question

kuwait340
24th Apr 2007, 12:59
hello ...

i have been recently to a very basic airport...this airport have only two approach plates ...one is the ILS 31 and the second one is the VOR/DME 31.

at the time of arrival there ...the wind was 170/15 ....so the tower said it will be self positioning for rwy 13 .

...rwy 13 has no charts ...and on the ils 31 + V/D 31 charts there is no circling minimum .

so what i did is that...(on the A320 )...

we were coming straight (on the airway) to runway 31 (so lucky..:} ) ...i made a way point which was 5 miles before the ils ...then another waypoint which was 2.5nm abeam the ils 31 threshold...and a waypoint 2.5nm abeam the threshold for rwy 13 (landing rwy)...then a waypoint ahead by 5 nm ..then a turn to final.

so it is like a visual approach circuit...and i descnded to 1500 AGL ...

so the question is...is what i did a 100% correct...or is there any suggestions ?

thanks....

despegue
24th Apr 2007, 14:18
iN that phase of flight, and when ceiling and visibility allow, I would not bother with programming the FMGC but fly the aircraft and perform a visual approach on RWY13.
Below 10.000', it is my humble opinion that the crew's heads should be "up" and not "lost" in programming/drawing the FM(G)C.
Disconnect the autopilot/autothrottle and fly and enjoy my friend!
just my 2 cents worth.

Henry VIII
25th Apr 2007, 09:16
I agree.
Just add to follow ils down to 1500 gnd to get gnd contact and perform a visual, if the case of low clouds coverage.