PDA

View Full Version : How to convert JAA-B737-rating into FAA-PPL? (for recreational purposes)

FCS Explorer
24th Apr 2007, 08:57
hi folks
i hold a JAA-ATPL with 4.000 hrs B737, yet i do not hold a valid/current/active PPL. now i want to rent some single-engine piston-thingie in the USA to do some sight-seeing on Oahu.
will it be enough to so something like a two-hour introduction/familiarization or bi-annual flight review with one of the guys who hand out the keys or what kind of official FAA stuff do i have to go thru? maybe some post-9/11-security screening? theoretical exams?:confused:

fiftypercentn1
24th Apr 2007, 09:33
man u just need a SE Piston class rating, u dont need ppl..as obviously u have much more than that. your atpl will be converted in FAA PPL with some paperwork (takes 3 weeks i think) and then off u go, u just need the SE thing which im sure ull be able to do in the school in 1 or 2 hrs.

dublinpilot
24th Apr 2007, 10:01
How long is it since you last flew a light aircraft? That will have more bearing on how long it will take than anything.

Do you hold a SEP class rating (Single Engine Piston) on your JAA ATPL?

FCS Explorer
24th Apr 2007, 13:22
hi there
- i do not hold a SEP rating in my atpl
and
- i'm a little suprised it should take the FAA 3 weeks to do this. getting an FAA-PPL based on my PPL took about 10 minutes (years ago)...

Dave Gittins
24th Apr 2007, 13:35
I don't know if holding a JAR-ATPL will allow you to get a "reciprocal" FAA PPL - certainly my JAR-PPL was readily exchanged for an FAA-PPL although starting the paper trail takes a couple of months before you can present yourself at an FAA FSDO of your choice to fill out a few bits of paper and get a temp license.

Searching this forum will tell how that happens.

As I say dunno if you can do ATPL - PPL you may find the answer on the FAA website or by Emailing them in Oaklhoma City (address is also on their website).

It may be that Socal App who lurks round can advise.

After that, I guess it is just a matter of doing the FR (which in my case was abot 3 hours on the ground and an hour in the air) and pursuading somebody that you are safe to fly their 172 or whatever.

IO540
24th Apr 2007, 13:41
A friend did this a couple of years ago. Much depends on whether you want an FAA IR as well; it is rather handy to have that privilege!! If so, the easiest route appeared to be a conversion from a JAA ATPL to an FAA single crew ATPL, which IIRC was just the foreign pilot exam. Also, an ATP doesn't need an instructor signoff to do this; you can just turn up and sit the exam.

slim_slag
24th Apr 2007, 14:09
hi there
- i do not hold a SEP rating in my atplYou need the FAR 61.5 equivalent rating on your foreign licence, so if you don't have an ASEL equivalent you are out of luck

dublinpilot
24th Apr 2007, 14:46
I have to agree.

If you don't hold a licence allowing you to fly light aircraft at present, how can you expect the FAA to give you one based on a licence that you don't hold?

I think it would also be unreasonable/unwise to expect to just turn up somewhere and take a light aircraft sightseeing if all you've flow in the last few years are airliners?

dp

dublinpilot
24th Apr 2007, 20:31
SoCal....all very fine except that includes :

(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on a person's foreign pilot license, in addition to any issued after testing under the provisions of this part, may be placed on that person's U.S. pilot certificate.

FCS explorer states that he
yet i do not hold a valid/current/active PPL

i do not hold a SEP rating in my atpl

He may very well get an FAA PPL but unless it hold the "Airplane Single Engine Land" rating on it, it won't allow him to do what he wishes. As he doesn't hold the equilivant rating on his ATPL, he won't get it on his FAA PPL.

dp

FCS Explorer
25th Apr 2007, 07:42
thanks to all who put up with my problem.
this matter turns out be a little more complicated then it would have been before the whole JAR-thing came up with class-ratings and stuff and i think it's best to approach the FAA directly.
nevertheless i admit that just because someone flies airline jets for a living doesn't mean he's also safe in a SEP just like that.

slim_slag
25th Apr 2007, 07:47
So that implies that he used to have a UK PPL and he also had/has a FAA PPL.Doesn't mean to say it' s valid to be PIC, in fact we know it's not, and it's going to take more than a BFR to fit that.

englishal
25th Apr 2007, 08:02
He may very well get an FAA PPL but unless it hold the "Airplane Single Engine Land" rating on it, it won't allow him to do what he wishes. As he doesn't hold the equilivant rating on his ATPL, he won't get it on his FAA PPL.
Hmm....my thoughts, which may be completely wrong, on this are:

To hold a type rating in a ME aeroplane, then as far as the feds are concerned a ME rating MUST be held. Therefore they would probably issue a based on PPL with "ME Land" on it along with the 737 type rating. Once you have the ME PPL all you need to do is take the SE land flight test (and possibly ground exam - but this is a non issue) and then you'd have a PPL "ME Land based on foreign licence XXXXXX, SE Privileges US Test Passed, Instrument Airplane"........or words to that effect.

slim_slag
25th Apr 2007, 12:41
What I reckon our budding PPL should do is revalidate in JAA land and get a SEP rating. I would suspect he will be given a lot of leeway by the examiner and it will not be much different from the checkout he will have to do if he wanted to rent in the States. So good practice. I would also guess that the biggest problem would be getting all the CAA documentation in place before he heads out to the US.

Now, what I don't know the answer to is what happens if the details on his new ATP JAA certificate doesn't match the details on his existing FAA 'on the basis of' certificate. What I'd do is call three FSDOs and ask the same question to all three. If you get the same answer then I'd be reasonably confident that was the real answer. Don't tell them you are doing this of course. I guess emailing OKC might also be in order.

englishal
25th Apr 2007, 17:59
Now, what I don't know the answer to is what happens if the details on his new ATP JAA certificate doesn't match the details on his existing FAA 'on the basis of' certificate
Unfortunately this renders the FAA "based on" ticket invalid. My mate had this problem after he got the JAA CPL - then went to the USA to fly on his "based on" ticket. Didn't work and he had to go through the validation process and get a new based on ticket.