PDA

View Full Version : Flight Safety Issues Surrounding Lightning

beechgal
24th Apr 2007, 05:21
Hi,

I would like to know from airline pilots who fly schedules, what the dangers are surrounding flying in / through lightning. For example, taking off/landing in such conditions, what are the main issues you would consider in delaying your departure or arrival? Would you also be able to elaborate on the atmospheric conditions that culminate in lightning forming, so that i have a better understanding of it.

vapilot2004
24th Apr 2007, 11:38
Instrument/electronics damage and computer box malfunctions are common hazards associated with the rare but direct lightning strike. Exploding radomes (sounds worse than it is) have occurred more than a few times. A nearby bolt can also cause temporary blindness - a minor but still serious consideration.

The storms that produce lightning will often have strong downdrafts, wind shear, hail and heavy precipitation that are all far more challenging to flight safety than the lightning itself.

If able, ATC will route aircraft around heavy cells in the terminal area while a course deviation may be the wise choice on the way up or down when your own radar is showing strong returns if ATC is able to comply. The big stuff will be smartly avoided by your captain.

Regarding takeoff and landing, if the field is open, the big birds will (safely) fly to and fro. :ok:

Julian Hensey
25th Apr 2007, 13:48
This is a very comprehensive presentation by BAE Systems on lightning testing on aircraft stuff from April 2006 with very interesting pictures of real damage caused by lightning.

http://www.aerospacetesting-expo.com/atxconf06/pres/emc_3/jones.pdf

This is a layman's kind of question and answer session.

http://www.lightningtech.com/d~ta/faq1.html

Doors to Automatic
2nd May 2007, 21:09
Out of interest if there is a highly electrified storm on the approach to the airport but no wind (as is sometimes the case) i.e. no chance of windshear would you make an approach?

john_tullamarine
2nd May 2007, 22:42
.. depends whether you want to bet your life on there being no microburst or similar activity ...